Chapter 1

A.N-

Trying to write a story but i don't know how it'll go, aaaand i don't know how fast i'll be able to get it done. But i'd appreciate it if it could get a quick read ^_^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 1

I bent back the grainy board covering the small, gritty window in front of me. A small streak of light poured into the blackened room, filtering out a fraction of the hopelessness I felt. The light burned my eyes, eating into my soul, but I didn’t mind. Each little speck of that light was like a ray of sunshine to me, it brought a calm to my weakened heart.

                It had been 3 days and around 4 hours since my life was shattered forever. I had gone to sleep in one world, and awoken to a world I no longer knew. I had stumbled downstairs to find my mum, dad and little brother weeping over the trembling mess that was my sister Amile. She looked so frail, crumpled into a crooked position on my mum’s favourite carpet. Her whitewashed face stared up at me blankly. There was nothing left of Amile behind those glossy brown eyes, only fear. My mother’s warm and loving arms had enveloped me. “It’s too late for her” she whispered, “But you need to leave, get away from here. You can live Kitty, you and your brother.”

I stared at her intensely, “I’m not leaving mum, not till you tell me what’s going on.”

“I can’t, there’s no time, you have to go Kitty.”

“No mum! You can’t just expect me to leave when Amile’s lying there like that!” I shouted.

She grazed her eyes over me, a tear rolling down her milky complexion. I knew that look, it was guilt. But I didn’t care; I was angry, furious in fact. I stood there, not wanting to breathe, not wanting to disrupt the scene in front of me. Maybe it wasn’t real, if I closed my eyes and opened them again would I wake up? I tried. “3…2…1…” it didn’t work, she was still there, sprawled across the floor like some mangled rag doll.

“They…they were outside this morning” my mum stuttered, “When we came down Amile was by the door shaking. She stretched out her arm to me, oh Kitty, they took her whole hand.”

“Who are they?” I asked.

“I don’t know” she croaked.

I pulled her into an embrace, but then my heart sunk. I heard screaming, violent screams of pain. They were coming from Amile. I snapped my head round to face her writhing body. She began to gargle and spluttered blood from her mouth. It sprayed towards us as we stood and stared in utter horror. Oh Amile. What have they done? I slowly stepped towards her, closing the distance between us.

“Don’t touch her” my dad whispered.

I turned to him and nodded. Panic was plastered across his face, I knew him too well, he couldn’t hide it from me.  My dad, the only man I truly loved, the man who stayed strong for us. His kind eyes and gentle smile that I wouldn’t ever see again. But I didn’t know it yet.

“Go pack essentials for you and Alex” he told me.

I nodded again, unable to utter a single word. I turned and headed towards the stairs, grabbing Alex’s small wrist in one hand and pulling him up alongside me.

“What’s going to happen to Amile Kitty? He asked in that naive tone that knew nothing of the harsh realities of life.

“I don’t know” I told him truthfully. We walked in silence down the hallway. I needed to do this. I needed to be strong. We needed to stick together. I would be his only lifeline now.