naegi execution - 457 words

"Bum bum bum...! Naegi Makoto has been found guilty for the murder of Junko Enoshima! Looks like Naegi's not into those... sensual girls, huh?"

Jubilant banter came from Monokuma's mouth. Indeed, Naegi had been found guilty for a murder -- one that he had indeed committed. But wait, they didn't understand... it wasn't his fault! Things like this just happen to him! He didn't mean anything -- he didn't even do anything!

Naegi's convictions cried out inside of his head, and then formed into vibrations from his vocal cords, "I didn't do it! Guys... you know I wouldn't do something like that, right...?"

He was met with unsure eyes. Untrusting eyes. His argument was too weak to be believed. Besides, even if it was, there was no going back now. Nobody else wanted to die in his place. If a so-called criminal meant preserving their own skin, they would let Naegi take the necessary sacrifice.

"G...Guys?"

"I mean... it... it was an accident...!"

"Y...Yeah! O...of course you'd say that... You had your eyes on E...Enoshima... since the very beginning...! You were just waiting for the right time to strike!" The first retort was one fueled by paranoia, coming from the mouth of none other than Touko Fukawa herself. Though the others were silent, they seemed to agree with her.

"B...Besides... if you really didn't do it on p...purpose... why did it happen at all -- ?! Y...You can't accidentally murder someone!"

He was taken aback. 'Murder'? Could he really do a thing such as 'murder'? Was he... truly responsible for this?

"...The ugly girl has a point." Another voice broke through the dead air. Byakuya Togami.

"..." Naegi sat silent, soaking everything in.

"E...Enoshima-chan was our... friend..."

One after another, all of the Super High-School Levels let their comments filter in. It made Naegi's throat feel heavy.

Enoshima was his friend, too. Couldn't they see...? He didn't intentionally do this... he'd never kill someone he considered a friend.

Her death flashed before his eyes -- she had met him in the middle of the night, telling him that she had something important to show him. Naegi, was skeptical -- anyone would be -- they'd instilled the night rule just a week or so before that, and with the deaths of Kuwata and Maizono... he couldn't stomach a similar situation happening again.

She lead him to a back room -- it was the storage room -- and showed him a strange tattoo. 'Do you remember this, Naegi?' He didn't. When did you get a tattoo, Enoshima-san?

She'd came closer to him, up to his ear, close enough to let out a whisper --

'I'm not Junko Enoshima'

Suddenly, Naegi was snapped back into reality. Monokuma's voice boomed across the court room.

"That's enough talking, everyone!"

"Now, for Naegi Makoto-kun, who stabbed a beautiful blonde with an army knife -- I've prepared... --! A special punishment!"