Chapter 5- Engaged to Who?

2 years later, everything has changed. A month after I walked out, a close friend had asked me out on a date. That date led to this friend asking me to be his girlfriend. I accepted, but nothing became official until we attended the CMT Awards together. In the public eye, though, we were still just friends. I was half afraid that Hunter would be there, but I hadn't seen him anywhere. Not sure if I was glad or disappointed.

       I've been engaged for the past year and a half. Who am I engaged to, you ask? Well, it's enough to say, we haven't officially said anything to the press or anyone outside of our families yet. The fans have, of course, seen my ring, but I haven't been dating anyone publically. So, anything they think they know are rumors floating around.

       "Ashlyn? You in there?" I heard my sister calling from outside the bathroom of the apartment that she and I shared.
       "Yeah, come in." I had my towel wrapped around me as she stepped in.
       "You getting ready for the CMT awards show tonight?"
       "I am, you wanna help me? I know how much you like helping with my hair and makeup."

       "Alright, what do you want?"
       "Well, you can see the dress I'm wearing hanging on the door. I want my hair down with waves in a side part. As far as the makeup, whatever you think would look good. Just don't go overboard. I don't want to look fake."
       "I know. You're beautiful just the way you are, though."

        I slid on the strapless purple gown with a wide purple ribbon around the waist that I'd be wearing tonight. Ana zipped me up in back and began fixing up my hair and makeup. 20 minutes later, she said,
      "All done. Ash, you are beautiful! Shay is the luckiest guy in the world." She always knew what to say to make me blush.

      "Ana, stop it."
      "No, I mean it, Ashlyn. And so will he."
      I was about to argue further, but as I opened my mouth, a voice from just outside the newly opened bathroom door said,
      "Ashlyn Gonzalez, you are the most beautiful fianceé I've ever seen."

      "Stop it, Shay. You know I don't like it when you say that."
      "Even if it's true? I know, you don't think of yourself as pretty. You should, you know."

      In case you're wondering, yes, Shay is who you think he is. One half of the new country duo, Dan+Shay. Anyway, he and I headed out to the limo sent by the event staff to pick us up. We climbed in and on the way there, he said,
      "You know, Dan and I are going out on tour in a couple months. Opening for another artist."

      "Do you know who yet?"
      "We did find out, yes. But I don't remember his name now. Just that it's the 'We Are Not Invisible' tour."

      At that moment, it didn't even occur to me what that meant. Though it would soon. As we pulled up to the red carpet outside of Ryman Auditorium, Shay got out and extended a hand to me. With his help, I stepped out onto my favorite purple converse heels that matched my dress well enough that no one would notice what I was wearing on my feet. Like the best friend I'd left behind 2 years ago, I was also obsessed with those shoes. We began to walk the red carpet arm in arm, stopping occasionally to pose for pictures or answer questions.

      "So, Shay, who is this?" Kellie Pickler was hosting all the televised backstage interviews.
      "Well, Kellie, this is my fianceé, Ashlyn."
      "Fianceé? How come this is the first time anyone is hearing about this?"

      "Because we weren't ready to announce it to the world yet. But now it's time the fans knew our happy news."
      "We hear that you and Dan will be opening on tour soon. For Hunter Hayes, isn't that right?"

       I grabbed onto Shay's arm a little tighter, feeling suddenly very unsteady on my heels. Now I realized why that tour name had sounded so familiar. I pulled my arm out and walked into the auditorium, knowing I needed to sit down for a few minutes. Instead, at a distance I saw the very person I had been trying to avoid. I froze, standing like an absolute statue. I stayed just like that, frozen in place until I realized that he was staring back at me.