Chapter 20

Opening my eyes felt like a bad choice.

A brownie's face was inches from my own and from this close up, a little terrifying. Needless to say we both screamed at my return to consciousness for different reasons.

The brownie jumped off my chest and shouted. "She is awake, sir!"

The fact that the creature spoke in perfect English, something I hadn't heard come from their mouths, freaked me out more.

Scrambling up, I regretted my movement as the room spun. Groaning, I buried my head in my hands.

"My lady! Take it easy, here."

A glass was pushed at my hands and lifting my head, I took the glass, my throat feeling like cotton balls were stuffed down there. Quain knelt beside the bed, dark shadows under his eyes.

"Quain,' my voice sounded raspy. "What's going on?"

"You were poisoned, my Lady."

Memories of the ball flashed brokenly but I remembered Isobel bringing me the wine - "That bitch! I'm going to kill her!"

Quain held me down on the bed, looking amused at my feeble attempt to get up. "I think you should rest first, my Lady. You've been unconscious for some time now, your body needs time to get strong again."

His words put a halt on my anger. "How long have I been here?"

"Two weeks, my Lady."

Two weeks!

"But that can't be right,' I protested. "It feels like yesterday..."

"It was two weeks, my Lady and the Prince and Captain can verify my story. They've barely left your side since it happened."

I remembered the soft voices and that plea of desperation. I felt slightly touched that they'd stayed with me all this time.

Damn.

"What took you so long to heal me?" I demanded, trying to get away from the mushy sentiments.

Quain jumped. "I beg your pardon?"

"It only took you a day to heal my broken hand but it took you two weeks to beat a stupid poison? Come on man, lift your game."

Quain looked insulted. "It was not just any poison you were dealt, my Lady. It had a rare toxin in it that was hard to identify. Two weeks is a fast time for a poison as skilfully made as that one was. A little appreciation is usually called for in this moment!"

Great, now I felt guilty. "Right. Sorry and thank you, Quain. I appreciate you saving my life."

"You're welcome,' he said gruffly and I grinned.

The brownie who had run off must have completed their mission because suddenly the door banged open and Kheelan and Drake barged in with Eva in tow.

Kheelan raced forward and hugged me as Quain stepped back. "I'm so glad you're alright. We didn't think you were going to wake up."

I patted his back awkwardly, surprised at his affection and not failing to notice the tension in Drake's gaze as he watched our embrace. "I'm all good thanks to the doc here. Did you get Isobel? Please tell me you left something behind, I need to vent my anger."

Kheelan patted my hand. "I'm afraid Lady Isobel is as much a victim here as you."

"Come again?"

"Lady Isobel was being manipulated." Eva stepped forward and sat on the bed beside me grabbing my other hand.

"She was questioned by the Queen but she has no memory of the night. We don't know who it was that poisoned you."