Chapter 2

Mistykit,Stonekit and Mosskit were curled up together asleep, their tails over their noses."Wake up"Bluefur had emerged and Mistykit and Stonekit sat up in anger and relief."Come on Mosskit open your eyes"Mosskit gave a large yawn and gazed at her sleepily."Is it dawn?" asked Stonekit."Not yet"replied Bluefur."So we have to be quiet.We don't want to wake anyone up."Mistykit looked frightened"What's the matter?"she squeaked. Bluefur hushed them looking at White-eye nervously when Runningkit fidgeted."We're going to play a game,but you have to be very,very quiet."Stonekit was wide awake now,blinking in the darkness"What game?""It's called Secret Escape."replied Bluestar.The three kits looked excited.Mistykit jumped to her paws"How do we play?" Bluefur replied promptly "We pretend ShadowClan has invaded the camp.We have to escape without being seen, and meet our clanmates at Sunning rocks."Mosskit looked anxious"We're leaving camp?"Stonekit nudged her"How else would we get to Sunning rocks mouse-brain."Mosskit still looked scared"But we've never been out of camp before"she fretted "we're to little."

"We're going to have use the dirtplace tunnel"meowed Bluestar."Yuck it stinks!"wailed Mistykit.Bluefur let out an angry sigh as she realised she had to carry the kits up the ravine."I think I see a ShadowClan warrior....just pretend."Bluefur grabbed her scruff and carried her up the ravine ignoring her protests.Then she went back for Stonekit."My scruff hurts!"he yowled.Tired, Bluefur went back to the littlest kit-Mosskit.She felt like a rock between Bluefur's teeth after the weight of the other kits.The kits struggled on, each drift brought them up to their eyes. Bluefur nosed them on worried as their noses got paler and paler.

"Does the forest go on forever?"Stonekit meowed.Bluefur seemed grateful he was managing by himself"No,my dear son but Thunderclan has lots of teritory and thats what makes us strong."Stonekit seemed happy."We are not staying strong at the moment with the lack of prey."grunted Mosskit."You should see it in greenleaf.There are squirrels,birds and mice."Mistykit was interested at Stonekit's hunting crouch."That's wonderful darling!You two try it"called Bluefur extremely proud.They tried akwardly and they both protested"The snow's to cold!"Mistykit was shivering and Mosskit exhausted."Can we go home now?""We have to keep going"Bluefur insisted fishing Stonekit out of another drift."I don't wan't to play this game anymore"wailed Mistykit. Stonekit didn't try to change her mind but was shivering so much Bluefur could hear his teeth chattering."I've got an idea."She dug a hole and pushed the kits inside out of the wind.Mistykit continued to shiver as Bluefur bounded away and was soon to come back.

"Where did you go?"Mosskit asked.Mistykit's eyes were wide with fear"We thought you weren't coming back!"Bluefur replied"Oh my precious kits...I'll always come back."Please let that be true...Mistykit thought.Bluefur carried the kits to every snow hole and they grew limper and limperFinally she dug the last hole."Can we go home now?"asked Stonekit."We're going to meet someone first." She let the kits sleep and all of them curled up in an instant. She lapt their pelts with her rough tongue.Suddenly, she paused on Mosskit's side-the kit wasn't breathing."Mosskit!"The kit was perfectly still."Mosskit...there's warmth and safety on the other side of the river.Your father will look after you.Just a little bit further my tiny,brave daughter."She paused to look down in sorrow."StarClan....don't take her yet...please wake up Mosskit!"She nosed her daughter for the last time.

"Bluefur?"Mistykit heard a mew.Stonekit woke up"What's that stench?"Bluefur concentrated"Nothing little one don't be rude."Go back to the rocks and I'll bring them to you."The strange cat protested"but I can carry one!"She roused Mistykit and Stonekit and brought them to the rocks sheltering them from the falling snow under her belly.Ignoring their protests Mistykit listened to Bluestar's story "Oakheart of RiverClan was your father"Stonekit gasped"From RiverClan!Runningkit told us Thrushpelt was our father."Bluefur called "Hurry up"Mistykit asked "What about Mosskit?" Bluefur's eyes were glazed with sadness "I'll go back and get her." Stonekit wailed "You said we were Thunderclan but how can we be Riverclan as well!"She continued walking looking back as if expecting another cat."Ow!"Stonekit crashed on the hard ground.They reached the edge of Sunningrocks to meet a tawny coloured cat."Are they okay!"called the tom. Bluefur nodded and the kits stared up at the stranger."This is Stonekit."Bluefur trembled as she touched her nose to the light grey tom."This is Mistykit.Please take care of them."Oakheart meowed"Where's the other one?"Bluefur trembled"Dead."She started walking away."Bluefur come back!"wailed Stonekit."Where are you going Bluefur!?Are you coming back to us?!"Mistykit cried.Unable to bear their cries she fled away into the forest.No... Bluefur who will look after me and Stonekit?Please don't go.I love you.Mistykit begged but she knew her mother was gone.