Ben and Tony Bear Stories. Book 19. Ben and Tony want to play.

Mummy looked up at the clock.  It said seven thirty.   It was time for Ben and Tony Bear to go to bed.  Mummy got Ben ready for bed.  Ben did not feel tired.   He wanted to run and jump about still.  Even Tony Bear did not feel tired, he laughed as Ben swung him from side to side.

     " More, more." Said Tony Bear excitedly.  Mummy got Ben to sit down so that she could take his shoes and socks off.  Ben kept trying to stand up.

     " Please sit still Ben." Said Mummy as she struggled to take his shoes and socks off.  Ben finally managed to stand up.  " Into bed now.  You may read a book for ten minutes and then you must sleep."   Ben and chose his favorite book of Cars to read.  Mummy helped him into bed.  She put his tablet away on his book shelf for the morning.  Ben liked his tablet very much.  He could watch adverts and his program's and repeat the same little bit over and over on it.  And he could use his tablet anywhere he went.  

     Ben got into bed and opened his book.  Mummy left him alone for a while so that he could read.  Ben and Tony Bear looked at the book.  It was full of car adventures and pictures.  Mummy came back in after ten minutes.  The time for reading was over.  It was not time for Ben and Tony to sleep.  Mummy put the book away on the shelf.  She bent down and kissed Ben goodnight.  Ben held Tony Bear out for Mummy to kiss too.   

     Mummy kissed Tony Bear goodnight too.  " Goodnight, sweet dreams and sleep tight little ones." Mummy turned the night light on and the big light off.  Ben lay down and cuddled Tony.  

     But neither Ben, nor Tony were tired.  Tony decide he would play peekaboo with Ben over the covers.  Ben laughed loudly and clapped, Ben loved peekaboo.  Tony Bear kept pulling funny faces at him every time he appeared from the top of the cover.   Ben got out of bed and jumped up and down excitedly.

     " Into bed now Ben." Called Mummy from her room.  Ben and Tony Bear stopped for a second and looked at each other.  Then Tony Bear pulled another face at him.  Ben laughed and jumped up and down.    Mummy put down her knitting and came into the bedroom.  

     She did not look happy.  " Back into bed now you little scamp. "  Ben climbed back into bed.  Mummy picked up Tony Bear from the quilt and gave him back to Ben.   Ben curled up.  " Goodnight. " Said Mummy.   Ben and Tony listened as Mummy went back to her room.  

     " Right let's play cars. " Said Tony.  Ben smiled got quietly out of bed and pulled the box of cars from table at the side of his bed.  Very quietly he got them out one by one and lined them up on his bed with Tony Bear's help.  Cars lay in long line down the side of the bed.   

     Once they had lined all the cars up, which took them at least an hour, Tony Bear and were still not tired.  Tony Bear wanted to do something else.  But what could they do.  Ben and Tony looked around the room and spotted his tablet sitting on the shelf.

     " Let's watch some more on the tablet. " Tony said pointing to the tablet.  Ben started to climb from the bed but the cars were on the bed.  They all fell on the floor with a crash as they slipped from the top of the quilt.  "  Oh no , thought Ben.  

     " Benjamin! " Said Mummy coming into the room, she switched on the big light and saw the cars everywhere.  " I thought I told you to go too bed. " Ben bent down and tried to pick the cars up.          " Back into bed now. " Ordered Mummy.  She bent down and picked up the cars from the floor and returned them to their box.  She then gathered all the cars from the bed and put them back into the box.  Ben sat on bed as Mummy covered him back over with the quilt.  She spotted Tony Bear on the floor and gave him back to Ben.  Ben snuggled down.  " Now go to sleep. " Said Mummy turning off the big light and leaving the room. 

    Ben still did not feel sleepy and nor did Tony Bear.  

     " Let's watch the tablet. If we keep the volume down Mummy will not know that we are watching it.  We can hide under the covers so that she does not see the light. " Said Tony Bear.  Ben looked over at the tablet on the shelf.  Mummy had told him to go to sleep.   Ben shook his head.  " It's just there we can get it without Mummy knowing. " Ben looked at the tablet.  " It will help us to sleep if we watch it. " Said Tony Bear.  

     On the top shelf of the book shelf, Mompy , Big Ted and the others watched silently.  Tony Bear and Ben were being very naughty tonight.  And Tony Bear was being very very naughty in playing with Ben instead of going too sleep.  Something bad would happen, it always did when toys and children were not going too bed as they should. 

     Ben snuck quietly from the bed. He walked across in bare feet on tippy toes and picked up the tablet. His hands were very sweaty, he knew that he should not be watching the tablet.   Ben turned and went to tippy toe back to bed,  but as he turned the tablet slipped from his sweaty hands.  It fell and landed right on top of his toes on his right foot.

Ben did a sharp intake of breathe and then screamed.  Mummy heard the bang and was on her feet before you knew it.   She quickly grabbed Ben up and hugged him tightly.  He cried for over half an hour.  The tablet was very heavy and thick.  It had hurt so much when it landed on his foot.  Ben screamed, Mummy kissed his foot. She hit the tablet and told it that it was bad for hurting Ben's toes. Daddy came running up the stairs.  He checked Ben's toes. None were broken.  Daddy was relieved, but he was not happy that Mummy had left the tablet in the room.  Mummy now felt bad that she had left the tablet in the room.  She would not do it again. 

     Ben did not stop crying.  His toes were bruised.  Daddy saw Tony Bear on the floor and picked him up.  Ben held him tightly.  Tony Bear felt bad. He had caused a lot of trouble but Ben had still wanted him afterwards.   He looked up at the top shelf.  The others shook their heads at him.  Daddy went down stairs and came back up with Ben's dummy. Ben only used it when he was tired or upset. It stopped him from chewing his fingers and his jumper sleeves when he was under a lot of stress. Daddy gave Ben his du du.  This is the sound Ben had once made for it but as everything else he only said it once.

     Mummy finally managed to calm Ben down.  He fell asleep now and then he let out a little sniffle.  Mummy laid him on the bed and checked his toes.  None seemed to be broken but they were red.  Mummy picked the tablet up and took it out of  the room.  

     During the night after Daddy and Mummy had gone to bed.  The toys made their way down from the top shelf.  Tony Bear hung his head.  He was so sorry for what he had done but he had learnt his lesson.  Mompy and Big Ted looked at each other.  Tony Bear after all was only a young bear, he still had a lot to learn too.   Even Mummy and Daddy were still learning. This was the first time they had ever had a child to bring up.  And Ben too was learning as he grew.

      Mompy and Big Ted reached out and gave the tearful little bear a hug.

      " Next time I will help Ben to sleep. "  Mompy and Big Ted helped Tony Bear back into bed where he curled up with Ben.  Ben and Tony Bear had both learnt not to play around when it is time to sleep.  When Mummy says it is bedtime.  She means it is time to sleep.