Task #2

Before I knew it, I was flung to the floor by Xaver. Panic slithered throughout the room like a snake waiting for its prey. I still had a bit of Dauntless in me though, so I pushed Xaver off me with all the strength I could. By the time I was up, the killer had left the room, leaving casualties in their path.

I pulled up my dress and walked over to the door. Thankfully, no one noticed me because the dead bodies were distraction enough. I slipped off my high heels and ran off towards the direction of where I guessed the killer was. After a while, I got this weird feeling up my back and snapped around to find someone there. Xaver.

His hair was a little ruffled and his breathing was heaving. It gave me major flashbacks to running off cliffs with him. He never was the best at keeping up with me, and I wasn't particularly fast, which made him staying in Dauntless all the more incredulous.

"What are you doing?" he accused.

"I'm going to catch the killer. What does it look like?"

He laughed at me. Did he really believe I couldn't do it? I strided up to him, wishing I had kept my heels on to match his height.

"You're going to capture them in a dress?"

I looked down at my attire. It was probably one of the worst outfits I could've chosen, but not much I can do about it now. I shrugged, until Xaver held up a black bundle of something. I grabbed it. Clothes. He stared at me with a proud expression, but all I can wonder is how he got these and knew to bring them.

I urged him to turn around, but he didn't budge and there was nothing for me to hide behind. So, unwillingly, I undressed.

"Nice tattoo," he said, glancing at the heart with his name inside. I immediately covered it up and put on the black shirt and pants.

"Now you look more you, C," he exclaimed, nodding his head in approval. I ignored his smug comment and started walking away quickly. He jogged up to me.

"Wait! Hold up!" he shouted. I let him catch up with me- he did give me clothes after all- and he started talking.

"I thought we could go together. I mean, I did give you clothes. I came prepared."

"And how is that? How did you know to bring clothes specifically for me?' I accused. He fell silent and then spoke up.

"I may have had some... inside info."
I stopped walking.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, the murders... they were my friends," he emphasized the past tense verb, which made me wonder even more.

"Were?"

"Yea, well. I decided not to go through with it. Too ruthless to harm people who had no option in being different," he murmured.

"You mean divergents."

"Yea."

It was his turn to stop walking this time. He looked at me, worry in his eyes.

"Hey CiCi, can I tell you something?'

I looked at him. It was definitely serious if he was using my full name.

"What?"

"Do you promise to keep it a secret?"

"Yes. Are you going to tell me or not?"

"I'm divergent."

Just then, for the second time tonight, a gun noise rang through the night sky.