Chapter XVII

What time is it? Where am I? I only need to look up to realise I'm at the hospital. What day is it? Is it still Alex's birthday?

It's night time and the lamp stands are on. It is. The last thing I remember is hugging her and... Oh, right. The gifts. It must be Sunday night, then.

Florence is sitting in a chair around the end of the stretcher and she's holding a plate with meat and vegetables. I raise, sitting slowly, trying not to awake Alexandra, who's sleeping right next to me.

"Would you like to eat something, James?" Florence asks smiling and in a low tone of voice after swallowing a chunk of meat.

"Yes, please." I say imitating her.

I'm starving. And now that I think about it, I'm thirsty too. But I'm even hungrier. I haven't had a bite since midday, and all I've managed to eat were some sandwiches, some crisps, and some cake.

Well... That's not bad.

Florence stands up and picks up a plate from a table aside. There's a plate left, I guess that must be for George. My plate and his have the same meal, and they seem to be still hot. Excellent.

I get closer to fetch the plate from her.

"Thanks."

"Have you had any rest?" She inquires, sitting back in her place.

I slice a piece of meat after sitting in the stretcher, a bit further away from Alexandra.

"Yes, I've slept enough... We've been sleeping since five." I bite on the meal, tasting it. It's exquisite. "What time is it, Florence?"

"It's..." She checks her wristwatch and quickly replies. "Eleven sharp. Yes, it seems you've slept enough, fortunately. You needed that."

Eleven o'clock? How many hours have passed? Six, seven? Wow... We've rested a lot, and that puts me in a good mood.

"What are you doing, James? Are you staying here for the rest of the week?"

Now that I think about it I haven't gone home for a week, and I should go and wash the clothes I'm wearing and the ones in my bag. I guess I haven't had a bath in four days, but I hadn't realised until now.

I will definitely go home now and wash my clothes and myself. I could also grab some clean clothes in order to use them for the rest of the upcoming week.

Well, I guess it's only an hour away.

"I will. I guess I could. I should also go to work and to school once or twice in order to finish some History and Physics tasks.

I've had to ask for a few extra hours at school in order to understand the topics they're dealing with these weeks. The past two weeks have been very busy, and I've had a rough time studying... Let's say it's on the fourth or fifth place in my priority list, when before it was on third or second place... Nah, it was never on second place.

"It's okay. Don't worry if you can't be here, I feel a lot better now, refreshed. I'll be here every day until we can go back home."

I nod as I drink from a bottle of water that was on the bedside table. How delicious and refreshing water is.

"I'll go home now and do some laundry... I'll leave for a couple of hours so I guess you'll be sleeping when I come back... Or at least I hope you are."

Florence smiles tenderly.

"Are you sleeping here, then?"

"I need to spend the night studying and copying the notes I haven't, and I should have during the weekend... So yes, I guess I won't be able to sleep that much, but I'll rest here. I'll be here."