Chapter 1

I live in a world where guns are a boy's best friend. I live on the streets where you get attacked at least three times a day. People like me, they carry knives in their sleeves and pockets. We are masters at pick-pocketing and stealing. From that, I may seem like a buff, strong teenager who has a horrible back story and has to survive. Actually, I'm the complete opposite. I'm a scrawny, seventeen year old boy who has no ability to fight back. I have barley any muscle and I ran away from my foster care and am learning how to survive. The only thing keeping me alive are  my brown eyes and brown hair. I have no job, no money, and no food, but I'm not an idiot. I ran away for a reason, many reasons. Not only is most of the foster homes and parents a living hell, but I'm looking for my biological mother. I can't wait for eighteen, so I need to find her. I just need to know why.

  Anyway, currently, I'm living with my best friend, Scott. Technically, I'm not living, I'm more hiding out in his attic. Scott's a little bigger and stronger than me and would have more of a chance of surviving on the streets compared to me.

"Aiden!" Scott wakes me up.

"What?!" I yell.

"Ssh! You have to go!" Scott warns.

"What? Why?" I ask, still a little groggy.

"Just go! My mom will be here any second!" He demands. I grab my filthy backpack and jump out of the window onto the lower roof. I jump and grab a branch of a tree, but end up falling on my butt. I check if everything is fine, and when I say everything I mean everything, and sprint down the street and to Woody's Diner. Inside, Mrs. Jennos is standing there as if she was waiting for me.

"The usual?" She asks.

"Thank you?" I smile.

"Uh-huh." Mrs. Jennos answers turning around getting my usual order. I sit down on one of the low stools and spot a man in a black hoodie shadowing his face and looking at me, but when I make eye contact, he places money on the table and walks out. Mrs. Jennos comes out with my meal and I eat it quickly. After, I greet them goodbye and walk into the alley behind Woody's. While I'm walking, for some reason, all I can think about are my parents. My last name, who they are, are they dead? All these thoughts are pounding and filling my mind that I almost get hit by a car. I keep walking across the street and continue my thinking. I never really met my parents, so I like to imagine what they look like and what they'd be doing. After a while, I realize I'm not getting anywhere and I have no place to go. And no way am I going back to my foster home.

I run to a different alley, behind a bar, and lucky for me a whole gang of guys just like me are lingering around the spot where I hide. These certain guys call themselves The Bones. I have no clue why, but I'm sure those morons think The Bones was a clever choice.

"Well, well." Says Jim, the 'leader' of the group. "If it isn't scrawny pants."

"Hi, Jim." I greet. That whole group hates me because I'm kind of a smart mouth and they don't know what sarcasm is.

"My name is not Jim!" He yells. "It's Skull Crusher!"

"Wow, original." I comment sarcastically.

"Shut your mouth!" Jim yells even louder.

"Okay, Jim." I smile.

"Do you know why they call me Skull Crusher?"

"No one calls you that."

"I'll tell you why! Because I crush skulls, and I'm gonna crush yours."

"Yeah, sure-" I start, but Jim punches my face so hard I fall and hit my head against a trash bin.

"Awww, do you want some ice for that?!" Jim asks in a baby voice.

"That would be ni-" I start, but he punches me even harder. From around the corner, the black hooded person starts running towards me and blocks Jim's punch. "Holy-"

  The hooded person twists Jim's arm and throws Jim on the floor. He does the same with the rest of his gang, so the rest of them run off. "Dude, that was-" before I could finish, he punched me in the face knocking me out.