Nicki- The Beggining

"Are you nervous Onika?" My mother asks, in her thick Trinidadian accent. I shook my head. Today I'd be auditioning to get into the most amazing school in the world. Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School. The school of the gifted and talented. I was only 14, and even though I was sure to get in, I was terrified of walking into the place.

My mother paid for parking, and we walked inside. Dancers, dancers everywhere. My mother took my hand and asked a man where the singing auditions were, since we obviously weren't in the right place. He told us to go down the hall, take a right, and then a left.

That led us to an auditorium, A HUGE auditorium. "This is bigger than Broadway.." I mumbled. "Go on Onika, get in line." My mother shooed me away, and I got at the end of the line with the other terrified girls and boys.

The line shortened. I learned something. If the judge says thank you, your in. If she says next, you're out. I kept moving up the line. I almost cringed every time the word 'NEXT!' was yelled out by the judge.

Soon, it was my turn. I ran up on stage.

"Name." The judge says. I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. I remembered, i had been practicing all night, and now I had lost my voice a little. I cleared my throat. "Onika Maraj."

"Age."

"14."

"Sing."

I closed my eyes to remember the words, and cleared my throat once again. I began singing my choice song, Saving All My Love For You by Whitney Houston.

"A few stolen moments is all that we share, you got your family, and they need you there. Though I try to resist, being last on your list. But no other-"

The first high note. I missed it.. by a lot. My voice screeched. I stopped. It was silent, and I opened my eyes. My mother's cheeks were red. "Next." Those words hit me like a bullet. I shuffled off stage. I started pouting and soon enough, tears were running down my cheeks. My mother took me out of the auditorium.

"I want to go home." I pouted, stomping my foot. "No."

"I want to go home! I hate this stupid school! I never wanted to come here anyway!"

"Onika! You will never give up. Promise me that. Now you have one more audition. Do this for me. We're not leaving." She says, wiping my tears with her sweater.

I nodded, and hugged her. We went to the acting auditions. Not as scary. A small smile spread across my face as I looked around the room. Crazy people like me. The thing that stood out the most to me were the clothes. I remember people wearing crazy leotard outfits and big long jackets and tutus and everything. My family was poor though, I figured I could never afford stuff like that.

I got in line once again. I was only third in line. The person in front of me turned. "Don't worry. They let anyone into this school... unless you suck.." She says. I giggled. "Not that you suck it's just..." She took a deep breath. "I'm Thembi." She held her and out. I smiled and shook it. "I'm Onika. Or Nicki."

That girl ended up being my bestfriend for life.

Anyway, I killed that audition. My old ass doesn't remember what I read, but it was brilliant.

And, I got in. If it wasn't for my mother, I wouldn't have. Now, I'm not Onika. I'm Nicki Minaj. And I couldn't be any happier.

_____________________

Love this. Should I do more like this??? COMMENT.