Onikafaree- Changed man

"Your daddy's coming home today."  I tell my 3 year old son Calvin, as I cleaned the living room. My husband Safree is on his way home from Iraq. He's been gone for about 7 months now.

"Where he went?"

"He's been protecting you. He's coming home for a break now."

He didn't say anything. It's about 5:50 AM now, we have to pick him up at 6:30. "Are you ready to go?" I ask.

"Yep!" He jumped up and spun around. I laughed and took his hand. "It's too early Calvin."

I helped him into the car and I drove to the airport. We got to go into the international part of the airport. It was like a freaking mall in there.

Calvin was getting excited to see his daddy and so was I. His flight had been delayed only 10 minutes. It's 6:20 now, and I was getting anxious. I couldn't wait to run to him and hug him and kiss him for the first time in 7 months.

I started seeing men and women in military outfits coming around the corner. I stood up and watched for Safaree. "Momma.." Calvin tugged on my shirt and I turned. I saw Safaree coming towards me. He was in a wheelchair.

"Faree!!!" I yelled excitedly. I wanted to cry, I was so happy. "Let's go." He says. He had a strait face on. Calvin looked at him and Safaree put him on his lap.

I pulled Safaree's suitcase to the car. I put it in the trunk. I put Calvin in the car and then got in the driver's seat. I looked over to the passengers side. I saw Safaree just sitting there with the door open. He was trying to get into his seat. I went to his side and tried to help him.

"I got it." He says. I continued to help him. "Nicki I said I got it!"

He got up in his seat and put his seat belt on. I looked at the wheelchair. "It folds up." He says. As soon as I got out of the way of the door, he slammed it.

I figured out how to fold up the wheelchair and I shoved  it in the trunk.

When we got home, I helped him out of the car into his wheelchair.

I pushed him up to the house. First problem: the stairs. There's a few stairs up to the deck.

"I'll be right back." I say. I unlocked the house and ran inside. I went up to Calvin's room and took the piece of wood he uses as a ramp for his toy cars.

It was just big enough to get him up the stairs. Good thing our room is on the bottom level.

I wheeled him into the room. I helped him up into bed and he nearly passed out. I guess he was tired. Calvin came in the room and jumped onto the bed. "Calvin! Can't you see I'm trying to sleep!?" Safaree screamed.

Calving started pouting and shed a few tears. I picked him up and brought him out of the room. "It's okay.. You can play with daddy later."

"You tired? It's a little early for you."

Safaree was never like this. He was always in a good mood no matter what.

We went up to the guest room and slept for a while. He woke me up with his bright little smile. I giggled and kissed his head.

"I love you baby." I hugged him tight. "Love you too momma."

I smiled at his little voice. The sunlight shined in my eyes and I sat up. I heard a loud thud. "Nicki!" I heard. I got up quickly. "Stay here." I told Calvin. I ran downstairs. "What happened?" I helped him up from the ground, and sat him on the edge of the bed. "I fell."

"Can you please tell me why you're like this?" I ask.

"I got shot Nicki! Right here! I can't feel anything from here and down. Nothing. No feeling. And I won't for the rest of my life." He pointed to his right knee.

I started crying. I didn't want him to be like this, I didn't want to look at him like this.

"Safaree I'm so sorry.."

I sat next to him and hugged him tightly. He hugged back. "I love you Safaree. Don't worry, okay? I'm never gonna leave you. I'm not gonna give up on you. I got you baby, I love you. We're gonna through this. It's gonna be okay."

"It's not gonna be okay Nicki, I don't know if I can get through this."

"We have to Safaree. I'm not leaving you behind."

He wiped my tears. "Okay."

__________________________

Since y'all were struggling last chapter

5+ comments
10+ votes

Next oneshot (I have it ready)

Thank you!!! Comment and vote!!!