Prologue

a/n: this is my first fanfic, I would love to here your opinion. English isn't my native language, if you see any faults please say it. I don't know anything about the American school system or any other system so there could be parts that aren't right.

Today I'm going back home, if you can call it home. Moving into a new place isn't exactly home but it is better than the hospital I have been practically living in for the past couple of months. I have lost part of my leg during an unexpected attack. It was in the middle of a night. I woke up to the alarms going off, I heard a lot of screaming and gun shots. I stood up and directly took my gun. When I went outside my tent there were a couple of the soldiers waiting for my orders. I gave them the commands and went with a group to where we were being attacked. There were already a lot of bodies. I saw my friend Marcus laying on the ground and ran to him to help him. He was shot in his stomach so I applied pressure to his wound. I was shouting at one of my soldiers to come and help me take him to a safer place when suddenly a grenade fell next to us. I jumped but I wasn't quick enough, I fell back on the ground and everything went black. I thought I was going to die but I woke up at the hospital screaming. They calmed me down, saying I was safe in the hospital and everything was alright. I asked them if Marcus made it but they just shook their heads. I looked down and saw that I was missing a part of my right leg, it looked disgusting. They said I was lucky to be alive and when the wound healed it should look better but I would still have a nasty scar. The recovery was really hard, I had to learn how to walk again with the fake leg. It took me a long time and a lot of falling but I can finally walk normal again.

Now I'm driving to my new place. It's a nice apartment but I am not looking forward to being back. I don't really have anything here, the army was my life. A couple years ago when I told my parents that I'm gay, they threw me out and disowned me because they don't want a gay daughter. I haven't heard from them since that day. My siblings tried to reach out to me but my parents caught them and said if they ever saw them talking to me again they would also throw them out and disown them. I told them to not contact me again, I didn't want anything bad to happen to them.

That is why I don't want to stay here very long. Why would I stay here when I have nothing here and they need every help they can get at the front? I know that if you are cripple like me they don't send you back but I still asked. I don't have a high rank but I tried to pull some strings. I even sent my father an email asking to say good things about me. He is also in the army and has a high rank, he is a major but I don't expect any help from him. I was the best of my class when I was training to get in the army so I got a higher rank than normal beginners. I am the youngest sergeants in my unit. I think this proves that I am devoted to the army and that I'm a good soldier. Maybe they will consider giving me an easier job that doesn't require to go fight but that I'm still needed at the front.

The only thing I look forward to about being back is that I can play music again with my band. I'm the singer and play guitar in a band called Love, Robot. We are a local band that play for fun because I'm not that much in America. We wanted to become more successful but the chance of that happening is very small so we were satisfied with occasionally playing at local bars and having other permanent jobs. We have a couple of fans that know we don't play often, when we do they all show up and have a good time.