Chapter Twenty-Five: A Friend's Betrayal

AUTHOR'S POV          

It's been a few days since Laurent has been home from rehab. He's currently filling the fridge up with groceries since it was pretty empty considering no one has lived there in months. Most of what he's eaten since he's been home is take-out or delivery because grocery shopping is something he and Larry always did together. Larry is always the practical one when it came to shopping because if Laurent had his way he would buy a lot of snacks or processed junk versus real food. He finally sucked up the courage to go because he knew he had to. As he's putting things away he starts to reflect on the day he left rehab. Saying goodbye to those he met who were still fighting to get well. Saying goodbye to Rob was also bittersweet because Rob was the first person he actually divulged his addiction to and they had developed a pretty good relationship. Of course he will see him again on Friday for his speech but nonetheless, he's glad to finally be home. When he first arrived he was hesitant to go inside because he knew his love wasn't there. There was nothing he wanted more than to walk in and see the love of his life welcome him back with the smile that could stop a thousand hearts and it practically ripped his heart out that he wasn't. Just the thought of it made him want to go over to Stephanie's and bring him home where he belongs but as bad as he wanted to he decided against it. He's certain that Larry has received his letter by now and he's hoping he will hear from him soon. If he doesn't he just hopes that Larry accepts his invitation for Friday night and they can go from there. He also recalls the painful silence filling the house his first day back before going to the bedroom. He placed his bags on the bed and slowly began to unpack but every where he turned, whether it was to put something in one of the drawers or to hang something up, there was something there to remind him of his love. He then looked at the bed again and when he realized that his first night back would consist of him sleeping in it alone, he plopped down on it, dropped his face in his hands and sobbed loudly. That hit him hard. He started to beat himself up as he reminded himself that it was his fault. Then he thought about therapy and how Dr. Hall wouldn't approve of him doing that so he dried his tears and silently told himself that although it may be his fault he will do everything in his power to make sure it never happens again. He shakes his head slightly to rid himself of the flashbacks and continues to put the groceries away when the doorbell rings. He looked through the peephole and seeing a familiar face he quickly opens the door...

Laurent: *smile* "Hey bro".  

Chris: *smile* "Hey Laurent. When you called me and told me you were home I wanted to come and see you so here I am".

Laurent: *smile* "I appreciate that. Come in. I'm just putting food away".

Chris: *smile* "Cool".

He follows Laurent to the kitchen and takes a seat at the bar...

Laurent: "You look different. Like you put on some weight".

Chris: *smile* "Yeah well, I took my cue from you and got off the junk".

Laurent instantly spins around when he heard that...

Laurent: "Really? That's great bro. I'm proud of you".

Chris: "Thank you".

They give each other a pound and as Laurent goes back to the groceries it becomes quiet. That's because Chris has something on his mind...he's just reluctant to say it...  

Chris: "So I can tell you're here alone". *pause* "You still haven't talked to Larry"?

Laurent is putting some dry foods in the cupboard when he hears that question. He slowly turns around and walks over to the counter that's directly in front of the bar. He places his hands on it as he bends over slightly...instantly filled with despair...