The Weight of Stones

In a village of no relevance, of a time period of no relevance, there lived a healthy proud people. These people carried stones of various sizes and quantities, in leather bags, on their backs. No one dared drop their bags. Only scum refused to work, while wearing their bags. The lazy low-lives of the village would all sit on one street, with their bags next to them, simply taking up space without contributing to anything. The adults taught the children, from birth, that "no one can carry your bag for you. It is yours and yours alone to carry." Everyone complained about their bags, but all knew that no one could do anything about it.

Among these villagers lived one young man named Izak. Izak was a quiet young man, who was hard working, and studied as a high school student. While most people carried rocks, bricks, and even cinderblocks in their bags, Izak carried jewels. These were the most beautiful gemstones any of the villagers had ever seen. And as Izak carried on with his education, he would carry this bag filled with beautiful gemstones throughout the village.

Everyone envied Izak for his gems. While he watched them carry these horrid bricks and stones, they all watched him carry this leather bag, filled with gemstones. They said things like "He has it made." and "I wish I had those." or even "He shouldn't complain about anything."

All the while, no one figured the weight of what he was carrying could actually be as heavy as what they were carrying. The other children scolded him for trying to relate to their situations, as if they were in a different situation from him.

One day, in broad daylight, Izak collapsed in the streets. As the other villagers struggled to help him up, they realized that they could not lift his bag. "How could he have carried such a heavy load for so long?" They asked themselves. They then learned that the weight on his back was just as heavy as theirs. And as they also realized that they could not carry his load, they had to leave him to die under the weight of his bag.