When All The Pieces Come Together

The door closed behind the man, as he fell over on his bed. Another tough day, trudging across a hot campus. His roommate was absent, as usual. The room was silent. He simply faced the wall, lying on his side, listening to the soft noises from other rooms across and beside him.

He normally thought a lot when he was alone. It was nice some time. He normally thought about what would be more productive than lying in bed. He thought about his future, where he'd be... and who he'd spend it with. As of lately, he's been trying to expand his putter circle of friends; find a new person he could let in.

She normally popped up in his head when he was deep in thought. She seemed almost imaginary now; like she never existed, or as if she was all a dream... A dream he wish he'd never have woken up from.

She was this amazing girl that just sorta popped up one day. She was his best friend. Sure, she had flaws, but he wasn't the brightest light bulb either. He normally fantasized about the things he'd change if he could go back in time; the mistakes he'd avoid. But that's a whole other genre of literature.

He got tired of apologizing, after a while; tired of being the bad guy, and tired of watching her victimize herself. He hated the idea of anyone hurting her. So the thought of him inflicting any sort of pain on her ate away at him from the inside.

He never wanted to let go, always wanted his way, always wanted the last word, and only wanted her. But... Things changed. Things changed drastically really fast. It only took three months to wipe that smirk off his face, and put him back in his place.

Hed been through this over and over with a ton of other girls. But... It was different this time. It didn't hurt. As much as he pretended to hurt and Greave, and distance himself from others, maybe the hardest thing for him to comprehend was that "it's okay now". It's okay to see her off, and it's okay to see her this way. No hate, no pain, no resentment... He was void of all but curiosity. But he didn't care enough to satiate it.

He sat up, reached for his phone, and began typing; typing the last thing he'd ever want her to see:

Time truly is an illusion
We have so much of it
Yet it heals nothing

Whether I'm near or far
You still pop up in my head
Just as a pleasant reminder of when I was happy

I don't blame you
And I hope you don't blame me
I wanted one thing;
To see you happy.

These are all just thoughts
I'm the poison
You're the open scar
Maybe we weren't compatible

Even though I kept my promise
Tried to make things right
I just left a trail of mistakes

But maybe it's not all bad.
All of my screw ups
All of your tears
Led you to who you were meant to be with

Who cares if we can't exist in the same universe without some kind of tension?
I could never hate you.
I'm just glad you taught me how to let go.

He paused for a moment, debating on whether or not this should stay away from anyone's eyes but his. His thumb twitched with second doubt.

Am I really this cold now? Do I really not care about the most important person in my life?

Then his finger stopped, as he reminded himself.

This isn't cold at all. It's maturity. You're better now. You're not angry or frustrated. You're just able to let go now. Doesn't it feel good to not cry like a baby just because of what happened? You did your part, and now she's happy. Maybe not with you, but you played a role in her life, and she played a role in yours. Now thank her the only way you know how to...

A soft grin smudged his face, as he pressed his thumb onto the screen.

Publish