Metal mouth

As the head teacher leaves, I find myself sitting in his office with Jellal, a guy I got on okay with at Magnolia High. Out of everyone I coulda moved with, I'm glad it's him. He's a decent guy which is more that can be said for most. This is the third school I've been to in six months. I'm kinda surprised I got in, actually. Fairy Tail Academy's well known for its geeks and brainboxes and here I am just scraping a D (oo-err). They call me a delinquent. They all say I'm no good. I ain't one to try, but I kinda want a fresh start. My appearance and grades may not help, but being lonely gets depressing after a while.
The head teacher returns with two girls, about our age, in tow. I hear Jellal gasp. He obviously recognises one of them. One of them is tall with red hair, the other short with blue. I look at the tiny bluenette. She's a shrimp, but she's got a pretty face; big hazel eyes, cream coloured skin and full, pink lips.
Kissable. I think to myself, No, Gajeel. You're an idiot. Stop being an idiot.
The funny thing is, I get the feeling I've seen her before.
The old head teacher interrupts my train of thought with a small cough. He tells us that, as we share many classes, Jellal will be accompanied by "Erza" and I will be accompanied by "Levy". Jellal looks ready to faint. "Erza" must be the one he recognised. The redhead, who I now know is Erza, blushes as she takes a scarlet-faced Jellal out of the office. I wonder who this Erza is to Jellal.
An ex?
The shrimp, Levy, takes Jellal's seat. The head teacher (whose name I ought to learn) turns his attention to us.
"Now Gajeel, as you know, you're at this school due to a scholarship for your musical talent." Levy looks surprised. Gihi. Most people are when they find out about my... soft side. The headmaster continues, "But the standard of your schoolwork is unacceptable and your grades are... well you know how you did in your mocks last year." I look down. Last year I failed every subject except music. I got an A* for that. "Levy." He turns to the shrimp, "You will be pleased to know that your grades last year were the best in Fiore." The shrimp smiles. The old man carries on, "And I understand that you turned down the offer to take your GCSEs and A-levels early and go straight to university." This shocks me. I figured the shrimp would be a nerd, but nerd doesn't do her justice. She's a genius. She replies in the affirmative. "As you can see, Gajeel, Levy here is an extraordinarily bright girl. Having someone this intelligent by your side would be an amazing opportunity. Therefore, at least twice a week, I would like you, Levy, to tutor Gajeel." I scowl. This is gonna be embarrassing.
"Sure!" She agrees with a smile, "Sounds like fun!"
"Good." The headmaster says, pleased "The bell's about to ring so get to form!" Shrimp leaves the office and I follow. We walk down an empty corridor in silence before rejoning the throng of students making their way to form.

__________________________________________________________________

So here I am with some heavily pierced newbie whose very name has 'delinquent' written all over it.
But he's cute. Says a little voice in my head.
In the massive crowds, I look back to make sure I haven't lost him. Sure enough, he's right behind me. I get a glimpse of his eyes, a fiery red and I get a feeling of deja vu. I shake my head and refocus on my task. I show Gajeel to his locker and he dumps his stuff inside. I show him around the place until the bell rings and we make our way into form - room 52.

During form, I have the chance to talk to Gajeel. He seems like a total jerk and if my mother saw him, she'd faint, but who knows, he might be a good guy deep down. After just five minutes, I'm thankful I didn't judge him. It turns out he can play guitar and he's a pretty good singer. He has this silly little laugh (Gihi) which is actually kinda adorable. He's also a huge cat lover, and he owns a cat called Pantherlily. We laugh. We have banter. As the bell rings signalling the end of form, my opinion of Gajeel has changed completely, and I kinda look forward to tutoring him. I take a look at Gajeel's timetable to see that his first lesson is Music: the same as mine. I take him up to the arts block and ask him what kind of music he likes. He looks down at me and smirks.
"Hey Shrimp." I growl, he keeps using this stupid nickname for me. Damn, he's annoying, "You got an iPod?" He asks. I nod. My mother is incredibly strict, but she allows me to listen to classical music because it apparently increases IQ. Little does she know that there isn't a classical song on there. Gajeel offers to compare during the lesson. I feel hesitant, but the teacher doesn't really care what we do so I agree.

Upon getting to class, I see that there aren't very many people. Nothing new there. I spot two of my best friends: Jet and Droy. I've known them since primary school and I love them to bits... as friends. I see that they've saved me spot in between them. I point out Gajeel giving them a look saying "just move up". The boys aren't happy, but Jet moves along, I sit with him and Gajeel sits by me. I introduce him to the boys but they seem hostile. After a while, the teacher comes in. She's not our usual teacher. She's new. She seems stricter and Jet and Droy exchange worried glances. The teacher silences us, introduces herself and then says:
"Okay! I understand that you haven't been doing much this last year so we're getting straight to it!" We gawk in horror, Music has basically been our hour to unwind: we wrote our compositions for coursework and studied theory but that was all very relaxed. "This year, we will be working on our performances and by the end of this term you will have recorded your ensemble piece!"
She lectures us on how we should group up when Gajeel passes a note. I unfold it and read.

You wanna go with me?

I look up at him. He's looking away. I look at Jet and Droy who smile at me. I know they expect me to go with them. It would certainly make things more... convenient. They're the only friends my mother really approves of: she finds Lucy, my best friend, too loud; Juvia too emotional; and I couldn't dream of bringing Cana, who has a reputation for drinking in school, home. My mother likes Jet and Droy, though, and I'm pretty sure that if I was to get a boyfriend, she'd make sure it'd be one of them. Don't get me wrong, I love the boys to bits, but they don't ignite the engine of my heart (that sounds like Edo-Levy...). Gajeel on the other hand... I don't like him, but he reminds me of a villain-turned-hero from a storybook and a hot one at that... His red eyes were like a fireplace to welcome me on a cold winter's day and despite his tough-guy exterior, I occasionally caught glimpses of the sweet guy underneath. I write Gajeel a reply.

You'd better get me a good grade, metal mouth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Ey up! Thanks for reading 'Sing Me To Sleep'! So Levy and Gajeel have met and they're partnering for music. Maybe a cute fluffy duet going on there! But Jet and Droy aren't pleased. It also seems that Levy and Gajeel have met before, but where? And what about Erza and Jellal?

Okay yeah I'm not great at writing these things. But things are only gonna get better!

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed!

~FairyTailNightmare