Chapter 6: The Man in the Blue Suit

“Right on time.” She said as she heard me creaking down the stairs. “We’re going to that grand opening celebration tonight. Heard they’re going to have fireworks and everything. I haven’t seen fireworks since my last husband was alive. Let’s get going before we get stopped in traffic.” I followed her outside and she led me to her car. I hadn’t ridden in a car since I was a little kid. Mum always walked places or had her boyfriends pick her up in their cars. I always had jobs close to home so I could easily get back to my siblings if something should go wrong. The car was old and smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. As soon as I was sitting I hand-cranked the window open to let out some of the hazy stench. I had just about enough of smoke to last me a life time.

          She creakily sat in the driver’s seat and put the keys in the ignition. The car roared to life and we backed out of the garage. The part of town we were heading towards was only about an hour’s walk away. I knew I could have made it on foot like I normally did but I knew Ms. Hodgens was too old to make the journey. I didn’t mind getting a relaxing car drive anyway. I did have an odd sinking feeling in my stomach about the fireworks, though. In Hero’s letter he said something about fireworks, if it even was Hero that sent the letter. I hoped he wasn’t planning on doing something insufferable in front of a crowd. Maybe he had also given Ms. Hodgens a letter and this was why she was dragging me to this event.

          “Ms. Hodgens did you also get a letter from Hero?” I asked.

          “Who?"

          “That boy on the news all the time?”

          She stared blankly at me. I realized she probably didn’t have a television set, or even a radio for that matter. “That boy in the costume that dropped off the letter yesterday. Did he give you one as well?”

          “Yes.” She said, “He invited both you and I to come to this event tonight.”

          “Why didn’t you say that before?” I asked, wanting to avoid the attention at all costs. Or at least maybe I’d have the chance to speak my mind to him in front of a crowd. None the less he was planning something.

          “I didn’t think it was important.” She said, “It was just a boy in a dark blue outfit.”

           “His outfit is black.” I corrected, maybe she thought it was navy blue.

          “No I’m sure it was blue.” She said, “I’m not so old I can’t see colours.” She huffed. “You should be hanging out with boys your age anyway. He was polite and ask me to specifically bring you along.”

          I groaned. I didn’t need a match maker in my life and I certainly didn’t need to be hooked up with a super hero. I had enough of my own problems to worry about. There wasn’t much I could do about it now. I leaned my head back on the head rest and watched the scenery go by.

          When we finally arrived at the new building I could see huge spotlights lighting up the area. A stage had been constructed out front for speeches and announcements. A huge banner breezed across the front of the building labeling the structure as being the new center for children to come and learn. It was like a type of daycare learning environment for those that were not able to take care of their kids while they were at work. I understood why Hero would be here promoting it. He stood for all things good and right. What was more righteous than supporting the opening of a charity building for kids?

          Ms. Hodgens parked the car and I got out of my door to help her out. She leaned heavily on my bad arm as she nearly used me as a rock climbing wall to get out of her seat. I gritted my teeth and pulled her to her feet.