Chapter 10:

The way I saw it I had two options. I could loudly declare that I was here and for Madbe to call off his insane attack, or I could try and sneak in. If he captured me he could lock me away without an escape until the duty was done, but if I was able to sneak in I might have a chance to somehow get in the main room. I was sure it would be overrun by people controlling the robots especially since the robots were moving now. I decided to stay silent. I didn’t know what they were going to do with me if I was found out. They might already know I was here. I crept around the side of the house. The area we had entered that night before was completely on the opposite end that had been blown up. I walked up the stairs. My hands shook as I reached for the handle. I was surprised that it swung open. The hallway was bare and desolate. I wanted to take the elevator because I was sure I knew my way from there but I didn’t want to take any chances on being trapped. I carefully sneaked around the corridor until I found a set of stairs. They looked highly unused.

      I checked my surroundings once more and fearlessly started up the coiling steps. The more I climbed the harder I breathed and the more my rib hurt. If I just didn’t have this injury I would be so much better at this. When I was on the fourth floor of the stairs I stopped and leaned over to brace myself for the final flight. Once I caught my breath and was ready for the pain I took to the stairs once more. I counted each of the steps as I made it to the top to keep myself focused instead of realizing what I was actually doing. Finally, I was at the lab door and I peered out. There wasn’t anyone around. I assumed everyone must have been spending all their time in the control room or had escaped after learning of the danger. I was sure the majority of the workers here didn’t know of the secrets the Professor was hiding. This was his apothecary end of the building, after all. I opened the door slowly so as not to set off any alarms and I looked around. I didn’t hear anything. I crawled out and started to head towards the nearest hallway that would take me to the other end of the building near where I saw the robots the first time.

     “Not so fast.” I heard a voice behind me and I violently turned around. “That professor knew you wouldn’t stay away. I’m afraid we can’t have you wandering around. You might cause some trouble.”

      The maid that I had met earlier was no longer dressed as a maid. She was wearing what looked like the lower half of a hazmat suit and she was holding another long painful looking syringe.

      “Stay away from me.” I said and took a step away from her. I didn’t want to turn my back and be attacked from behind with that needle. I took another step back and ran into something. Before I could see what I had run into, two muscular arms wrapped around my neck and across my stomach. He slightly missed my rib.

      “Let me guess, you’re not the butler either?” I looked up and recognized the man from the night before.

      “No, Miss. I am actually a butler.” He crookedly smiled at me and then looked up and nodded at the girl. She slowly came over with the needle. No way was I going to be stuck with another needle again. She closed the distance and I struggled to get free. I stomped on the butler’s foot while simultaneously biting fiercely down on his hand. He let me go but the maid ran at me. I ducked below her and tripped her up. She landed with a groan. I turned to see that she had fallen on the needle. It slowly drained into her chest. Her eyes glazed over and drool started leaking out of her perfectly painted lips. The butler groaned but bent down and scooped her up.

      “He’s got something worse in store for you.” He laughed and disappeared down one of the numerous corridors. I chose another hallway that seemed to lead away from them, even though that might lead me straight to the professor or his cronies. I headed for the room and recognized the hallway of weapons. The glass had been shattered but it seemed only a few of the dangerous weapons had been removed. I saw the little ball that once ingested would explode in a huge radius. I grabbed it and stuffed it in my pocket. I might not use guns, and even though I wasn’t looking in to a pyrotechnics career I figured I could find a use for this or at least save humanity from its destruction.