Chapter One

THE PAST FEW DAYS have been quite smooth for me. I find it strange because I proclaim myself to be the unluckiest creature to walk on Earth. 

Why? Well, I grew up without a mother for she left me when I was still four months old. Also, I had to deal with bullies at school telling me that I just sprouted from the land, or I was adopted, and they frantically call me names. 

Up to now, I'm only used to be with a childhood friend who managed to overlook my imperfections and accept me for who I am. Doesn't it feel amazing to have a companion like that? I can't call it good or bad that I have one, or should I say, have only one.

"Heidee!" I heard Allen shout as he ran toward me.

I'm Heidee Quimby. I just turned 16 three months ago. Many people describe me as a not so thin, not so tall, not so and so on and so forth. I guess I'm the definition of 'Average', or lower. 

I live in Alaska and has been living here my entire life. 

The guy who just called me is the childhood friend I was talking about.

His name is Allen Perry. He goes by "Allen", but since people noticed that we are consistently together at school, he also received name callings. It's embarrassing that people call him "Perry-winkle", but I find it funny, too. 

"Heidee..." Allen said as he gasped for air because he sprinted to reach me. 

"Nobody told you to run! I am just about ten persons away. You should have just walked." I said to him as if I was his mother.

Allen finally stabled his breathing and was fine after a few seconds. His stature is not very broad and muscular. He's rather lean, has fair skin and has sky blue eyes.

 "Are you fine now? Are you good to walk?" I asked.

"Yes. Thanks for asking." He answers just softly.

Allen was rushing because he wants us to catch the morning bus to school. We are both in our Junior Year in High School. 

Right around the corner are other students of our school from our neighborhood. We all rush to get a seat and not stand for a forty minute ride to our destination. 

This is what I'm talking about luck! As simple as it can be, I consider going for a ride for four straight days in this bus, sitting in a nice spot - next to the window, just about in the third or fourth row, and just not receiving any piece of mockery from others, as good fortune! 

It's only Thursday so one more day like the recent ones, I can already set a record of a happy streak for 5 days! 

The next morning I'm just looking forward for the same happenings like that of yesterday, and the days before that. But, I realize that I woke up 15 minutes late than usual, and that margin will create so much differences. 

I was just rushing my eating when Allen knocked at our gate. I didn't want to show myself because I was a mess. He persisted to wait until I'm ready even how many times I asked my Dad to tell him to go before me. 

I finally got all my stuff and prepared to go to school, but it definitely took some time. Now, I know for certain that we're either going to stand in the bus, or miss it completely. 

Allen and I ran to the bus stop hoping that we're just fortunate still. It gave me a smile when the bus was right there.

"Are there any spots for us left?" I casually talked to the driver.

"I'm sorry, dear, but all seats are taken.. it's your lucky day though, there will be a second trip just next to this one. Please wait for it, I insist." He answered politely before he closed the door of the bus and left.

We wondered when the next bus will arrive. 

"We're so dead. We're gonna be late and it's my fault." I was genuinely guilty.

"Don't think about it.. the next bus that the driver was talking about will soon arrive! Cheer up!" He managed to say this normally and purely.

"Hmmm look at that, Allen, a green bus approaching!" I said with excitement.

"That must be it! Let's hop in!" Immediate response from Allen.

The bus was green outside, there were yellow lines, or gold, I really can't set those apart. 

Strange feelings come to my senses because I didn't recognize a face that was carried by that bus. I honestly had no time to second thought, this must be our ride.. of course it is!