ch. 4

C H A P T E R   F O U R

Saturday. I'm happy as I wake up and decide that I'm going to be the best daughter ever. I don't quite know how to do this but something about yesterday – about how well Justin and my family get along – made me realise that I have full time to get to know them and be closer to them. I want us to be a normal family, although it is just for a matter of months. Bonds between siblings and parents should be strong and I'm planning on reinforcing our relationships during my stay here and I'm not letting anyone (Justin) bring me down or anyone (Justin) ruin my holidays.

With a smile and agonising pain that I try to hide – because waking up this early is still hard – I walk out of my room and to my parents'. I'm surprised to see that they're sleeping but they deserve it. I worked only one day in the farm and I felt like balling my eyes out of tiredness and they do this every single day so two days of rest they totally deserve.

"Rise and shine!" I squeal, making both of them jolt up. They don't take much time to adjust themselves and realise that it's me and when they do, they both look confused.

"Selena, you're probably mistaken...it's Saturday, we don't work today and you can go back to sleep," Father says grumpily, his voice hoarse.

"I know that but today, we're gonna all spend the day together and have lots of fun doing...stuff that you do here to have fun," I say enthusiastically.

"I don't know what's up with you," Mom says, "But give us one more hour of sleep, please."

I roll my eyes at her, "Fine but if you're not awake by then I'm dumping cold water on you."

They both exchange strange glances and I just smile reassuringly at them and walk out.

Today is going to be a good day.

...

I don't have a single idea on how I'm going to entertain my parents and sister today. I want to make them happy and that we all have fun together but it seems out of my capabilities as I don't know much about farms and villages like this....scratch that, I know nothing about them.

I sigh, annoyed, as I hear Lana descending the stairs. She eyes me weirdly, "Is something wrong?" she asks, in her cute voice that I have to force a smile that will reassure her.

"Nothing darling. How was your sleep?"

"Not different from how it's always been," she giggles, "I'm so happy I don't have school today! I love, love, love, love Saturdays!"

I remember my school days and recognise myself in my sister. I also loved Saturday – well, I think every student loves Saturdays – but the only reason why it made me happy was that I could practise dance. We didn't have enough money to get me to dance classes nor did we have Wi-Fi so I could watch dancing lessons online. I was alone in a locked room, with music from the radio, and just my soul aching to be a dancer. It made me realise that the only thing that can stop you from reaching success is laziness and excuses. I had nothing and yet from nothing, I reached up to everything that I have ever dreamed of.

I shuffle Lana's hair as she pouts, "I'm hungry. Where's mommy?"

"Uh, she won't be up in at least forty five minutes," I tell her and grin suddenly, "How 'bout I make my favourite little sister breakfast?"

"Really? You will?" Her small brown eyes light up.

"Of course," I say. I'm not a cook, not even close to it, but I know basic things like everyone else. A sandwich, an omelette and pancakes are probably all that I can prepare but at least it's better than nothing.