Three

Everything was a blur as they ran through the forest. Trees are everywhere, surrounding the young thieves. They use the forest's darkness as a safe zone. They wouldn't be safe for long though. The beast or the knights would catch them soon enough. 

Serena looked at the path that laid ahead of them. Dark dirt on the forest floor was covered by old leaves that turned brown. They were shriveled into nothing. Soon that would be them if they weren't able to make it to the hide out. It wasn't a hide out anymore though, not since they've been discovered. 

The hide out was known as the safe haven for all thieves of the guild. It's where they all grew up, trained, and have their moments of laughter. Now they'd have to run somewhere no one else could find them. If they survive first. That was the top priority. If they died, the memories of them would die along with them. They were going to be the forgotten ones.

Only fear was in her gut. No hope, no faith, and no bravery. Serena stopped running and Lambo tried dragging her along with him. She looked up shaking her head. Fear filled her and it made her want to curl up in a ball and hide. She couldn't though, she couldn't do anything.

V noticed that the younger thieves weren't following her. She walked up to them and she looked at the young girl who sulked,"Serena this is no time to stop and enjoy the scenery." 

"Please start running again..." Lambo sighed. He never seemed to understand why people stopped to think. It was  natural for him to figure things out quickly. Everyone called him the genius except for V. Those two always made it a competition for things.

"You guys should just go." Serena looked up at them, grabbing a fistful of dirt. "The amphisbaena is going to find me and kill me. It might even kill you."

V knelt in front of Serena. She looked at her intently and slapped her across the face. "Get a damn hold of yourself. We're your friends and all of us are going to get away safely. We'll get out of this, I pro-" She was interrupted by the amphisbaena's loud shriek.

Lambo grabbed Serena by her arm, "well whether yo want to come with us or not, you are." Lambo pulled her along as V got up and helped. 

"Why are you so stubborn?" V asked.

"Don't talk, just run." Lambo told V. Lambo tripped on a branch and fell, almost dragging Serena and V down with them. The two females regained their balance when Serena let go of Lambo's hand. Lambo landed on his face and groaned. Sometimes people thought he'd just lay on the ground for several minutes and groan but never did. He sprung back onto his feet and ran through the dark forest, not even waiting for V and Serena.

They both roll their eyes, "show off." Serena muttered. V laughed a little and began to run again with Serena. Running is what the young thieves have done for their whole lives. It was like a first nature for them. Serena always loved running. She felt free, when she ran. It was amazing.

If man could fly it'd be even more amazing. She could truly be free from everything. The wind would blow through her hair and the breeze would fall against her face. Whenever Serena was outside she'd watch the birds fly and dream of flying. 

They ran down a steep hill, mud made it slippery to stand up right. Serena tumbled down with V and Lambo. The mud stained on their clothing and smelt bad. Two of the thieves got up stumbling and ran towards the hide out. Serena, however stayed behind to see where the beast was.

A pair of wings flashed in the gap of the trees. Serena's heart skipped a beat. If she had weapons she'd use it on the beast. Serena made her breath shallow so the beast couldn't hear her. She knew it wouldn't be enough though because the beast still has her scent. 

Slowly, she inched away from the area of where the beast flew. When she was further away, she took a separate route from Lambo and V. She hid in some blue berry bushes when a group of knights ran through, holding their weapons at the ready. They're probably trying to find a better angle to kill the amphisbaena or look for the escapees, either way Serena didn't want to get caught by them again.