Are You Willing?

He didn't want to be rude or seem aggressive but he was already shouting. He ran his hands aggressively through his hair, as if trying to regain conscious. The lack of oxygen making it unbearable. He, then, bursts, "Tell me you love me, Regina."
           The shock present in her eyes, did he just say that?, her eyes narrowed at him.
           "I don't know how...", that futile murmur dissipating in thin air.
           Taking a step forward, he raised his head until his eyes wasn't on her anymore. A long silence followed. "Tell me you want me, Regina!" ..... (it stays in the air) ... "As I want you!", he got closer making her shrink back.
            Her eyes widen, she attempted to speak but quickly shut her lips tight. She rubbed her left ear, pinching it slightly. Both hands now crossing in front of her as if trying to find comfort.
            "I can't fall in love. I'm afraid of falling in love. I don't want to fall in love", those words coming out of her mouth fast as if they'd been kept in chains down her throat. She closed her eyes in complete disbelief. She didn't trust her feelings anymore, "I feel I don't have the strength to. I'm afraid to try"
             He raised an open hand and offered to take hers in his as his, now soft, welcoming blue eyes asked for her permission. "I know that you can. You're strong enough. Because this tension is making us run out of words to say and I don't want to let this love slip through my fingers"
             She accepted his invite and offered her hands but her eyes still showed fear. "Don't you get it? Can't you see it?", he cupped her face with both hands, the warmth of his skin inducing her muscles to soften and she tilted her head as if submerging in his touch. "I know you feel those burning flames when I'm with you. And I want to believe that you think about me too"
             She let herself go in those few moments of peace, the thoughts of being worthy of someone's love frightening all the fibers in her body. She quickly regained control of the situation, impulsively putting her hands on his chest backing away from his touch. "You don't know me at all. You have no idea of all the things I've done. The last bit of hope I seem to have lies with my son"
             The air now thick with fear and resentment making the situation unendurable for both. He feels his palms sweating as he once again opened his heart ineffectively. He couldn't stand the look on her face anymore. He needed air, feeling too exposed he turned his back on her and attempts to leave.
             "Don't!", she shoots one hand in the air as if trying to pull him back. He stops halfway staying in place, his back still turned to her. "Stay with me, Robin! Don't let me go. I can't trust my heart right now"
             Her hands fall to her sides as her head follow the same path, gazing the floor, she just hopes he doesn't go away. "A long time ago someone told me the I could and would find love again. But I didn't believe in it strong enough. I was afraid of loosing myself in doing so.", she pronounced that sentence in agonizing pain. She couldn't bear the ire built inside her anymore.
             She raised her head to face Robin, now standing in front of her. His face flushed and sadden still looked for answers in her eyes. "Won't you stay?"
             Simply hovering over her frame, he motioned to embrace her, lingering her approval, "I'm willing to do what it takes here, Regina! I just need to know that you might be willing too." She nodded her head slowly granting him endorsement. He held her close to his chest. Feeling both bodies shaking, he made small circles on her back intended to suppress all distress she might be in.
             Inhaling his scent, she stopped fighting, she accepted all the possibilities that could come with him. She rested her head in his chest, listening to the beating drum underneath his skin and couldn't hold it any longer, a few tears ran down her cheeks as she freed her emotions from herself.
             She felt happy but she wasn't about to let it show that fast. Expressing a small smile and letting out a faint giggle, she simply added,
             "I might love you too."

FIN