Surviving the Collapse

Chapter 1

The government was right. The economy was collapsing and everyone would soon have to fight for supplies and food. No one would have ever thought it to be true. Well, my family didn't.

Now we are in our basement with about a weeks supply of food, water and supplies left. If we go outside, we'll be captured and I don't know what happens after that. We haven't seen outside in days and don't even want to think about how it was and what was going on out there. All we do down here is play board games. So today I thought it'd be fun to go upstairs for a little bit. I really wanted to know what was going on. I asked my mom if we could go upstairs for once. She hesitated a little but I knew that she was anxious to know too, so she let us. My sisters stayed down there until we said they could come up.

By the time we got upstairs, we got to the living room. The power was out but least the sun was up still. I looked out the window carefully to see people crazily running around and soon that would be us. Everyone is supposed to die except for the government! Then we heard a loud knock on our door. We slowly walked back to the basement door, making sure we wouldn't be seen. We closed the basement door and then we hid in the crawl space in our basement. We heard the door being knocked down. My 8 year-old sister screamed but my mom made her stop.

We heard loud footsteps upstairs. They came downstairs and walked past our hiding spot. They looked like soldiers or something. I saw them look through our supplies and take our food storage. Probably to take for the government. They went back upstairs and left but, just in case, we stayed there for a few more minutes.

Once we were sure they had gone,we came out. I wiped the dust off me and my sisters. All that we had left was a water bottle and a bag of chips. Luckily, it was a family size bag. It could probably last about a week as long as we ration it out. What are we gonna do now?

It was night according to the blackness of the basement window. We decided we'd go to sleep since we were all tired.

I woke up the next morning starved. I was the first awake. Well I won't eat the chips, they're for everyone else too. Hm what to do?

We need to go get more food. But how?

I realized my dad used to be a soldier. Maybe his uniform is still in his closet! But how do I get up to his room?

I decided I'd go before my sisters and mom wakes up. I carefully crept up the basement stairs. I opened the basement door to a bright light. It was the sunshine coming through our broken down door. I quickly ran to the stairs very quietly. I walked up the stairs, well more like walked/ran. I walked up to my parents bedroom and opened the door. I was about to close it when my sister came running through the door.

"Hanna! What are you doing!" I yelled in a whisper.

"Well I followed you? What are you doing up here?" She asked.

"I made a plan that I think might just work." I told her.

"Ooo what is it? Can I help?" She said cheerfully.

"Well," I said opening the closet doors. "I am going to put dads uniform on and go out to get supplies." I told her.

"Isn't that dangerous though?" She asked concerned.

"We'll yeah but you gotta do what you gotta do!" I said.

I tried the uniform on. It was a little big but I managed to fit. My dad didn't really have big feet. I had the same size feet so the shoes fit perfectly. I looked in the mirror and put my hair in a bun then into the small but fitting cap.

"I think I'm ready." I told Hanna.

"Wow I don't even recognize you!"she said.

"That's good." I said smiling at her.

I walked down the stairs with Hanna right behind me.

"Okay now go back downstairs. I promise I'll be right back." I said.

"Ok, please be careful. I love you." She said giving me a big hug.

And with that, I walked out into the bright sunlight.

A/N: Yeah! A new story! Hope you guys like it! I kinda stuffed all this into one but yeah. Hm I wonder what's gonna happen next. Make sure to vote and comment! Thanks! Well that's all I have to say so byee!!

Adelaaa<3