Chapter 2

At first I was scared. I walked into the street. I didn't see anyone. Where'd they all go? I was holding my dads huge gun in my hands. Hopefully I wouldn't have to use it.

I decided I'd walk to our grocery store just to check. Once I got there, I didn't see anyone still. I looked through the store windows. The shelves were stocked up with food. Why didn't they take it all yet?

I wanted to try to get through the back door just in case.

I walked to the back door and with my good luck, it was unlocked. I went inside and closed the door quietly behind me. I walked over to the food isles. I grabbed random foods and stuffed them in my bag. For some fun, I went over to the candy. I grabbed a bag of assorted chocolates. Hopefully they don't melt by the time I get home.

I was about to leave when I heard something or someone. I hid under one of the cash register areas. I tried being as quiet as possible.

"Hello?" I heard someone say. "I know you're in here, please come out." They said.

It sounded like a little boy. I stood up from behind the cash register.

"Hey, what's your name?" I asked the boy who seemed to be around 6 or 7.

"I'm David." He said kind of scared.

"Oh, I'm Claire. It's okay, I won't hurt you. How old are you?" I asked him.

"7." He said.

"What are you doing in here, by yourself?" I asked a little concerned.

"I was with my mommy shopping and then people came with guns and we went into a back room and I hid under the desk and then... they came in and took my mommy away." He said starting to cry.

I walked up to him. "Hey, it's okay. Here you can come with me." I said hugging him then picking him up to go out the door.

We walked out the door. I walked back home with David.

We got back to my house and I set David down.

"We have to go downstairs. The door is through the living room and across from the kitchen." I told him to lead the way.

We got to the basement door and let him go in first. I closed the door after I went in. We walked downstairs to my sisters and mom.

"Who is this?" My mom asked.

"This is David. I found him at the grocery store alone. He's 7." I told her.

"Well okay. I guess he can stay here, there's no where else to go huh?" She said.

~~~~5 hours later~~~~

I yawned. "I'm tired. I think I'm gonna go to sleep!" I said tiredly.

I got up from the creaky rocking chair and went over to the air mattress. I laid down by Hanna. She was already sleeping. I cover us up in a big soft fleece blanket. It was my favorite. Soon, I fell asleep.

~~~~Morning~~~~

I was the first awake. Not a surprise. I picked up the backpack filled with food. I grab whatever I could which was a granola bar. That would be my breakfast.

David wakes up a little while later.

"Here, eat this and take some water too." I said throwing a Rice Krispie treat to him.

"Thanks." he said smiling.

"So where's your dad?" I asked hoping, if he was dead, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

"Well, I think he went on a vacation, that's what my mom told me. But he's been on vacation for 3 years and hasn't come back.. I hope he's alright out there." He said with a depressed look on his face.

I knew his mom lied to him and he was either dead or left them. I don't know why she'd lie to David, I mean, he should have the right to know where his father is because it might hurt him in the long run.

"Wow," I said. "sorry for asking I didn't know.." I said.

"It's alright I guess as long as I have you guys to keep me company, I'll be okay." He said changing his frown to a warming smile.

A/N: Sorry for not updating. I've actually had this ready for a long time I added a bit to the end if this chapter today though. This is a short chapter because you wanted me to update so here you go for now. I will try and update all my books today for you guys. Bye bye!