Chapter Two

We didn't ask questions to the peace keepers or hesitate at all as we put on our shoes and follow them to the square. Being obedient at this point is crucial, considering the fact that I've been illegally hunting game and setting up traps in the prohibited forest and I've been highly involved with the black market lately. I'm steering clear from pissing off President Python or anyone else from the capital.

"What's happening!?" Kayla asked, stumbling as she tried to catch up with me.

She reached out her hand to grip mine as we walked. Every now and then I'd feel her swing on my arm trying to pull herself up from almost falling over. I want to comfort her or even answer but how can I? Puzzled, frighten and hastily walking to the square. My little sister was feeling it too, her face expression was giving it away and her body language also. I couldn't help but feel hopeless, of all days why now?

"It'll be fine." I finally told her. She looked up at me and her eyes filled with fear. My heart sank a little, of all days it had to be on her birthday. Why someone so young have to face and deal with so much tough shit? I tried to slow down the pace for her but the peace keeper kept telling us to hurry up. They seemed really consistent on wanting everyone to get there fast.

I glanced around to see everyone with the same face expression as my sister. We were all frighten and confused, glancing around hoping to find an answer to the same question that apparently none of us knew. I felt my body tremble at the thought of that, the uncertainity was uncomfortable. I didn't like this feeling. I didn't like this at all.

"Hurry up!" One of the peace keeper retorted to the crowd. I felt my stomach twist, burdens started to creep in on me. I looked around again and I could tell some people were feeling guilt from past sins. I know none of us are saints but I always considered myself an under average criminal. If that made any sense. I was only going against the law for survival, to help out my family. But then again I'd be stupid to believe that we're not living in a black and white world.

The square is filled with crowds of people. I could see groups of other people headed to the square as well. The peace keepers were escorting them, but they looked more like they were forcing them to. I glanced around me, the peace keepers were everywhere. I kept walking as my sister clung to me, my fears started to get worse with every step closer I took to my unknown destination. Not knowing what else lies ahead.

The feeling in my gut was getting worse, actually I was fucking terrified to the core. This feeling reminded me of that day when my aunt Sherrie and I were too scared to go anywhere. Because she heard a horrible rumor about people in our district getting kidnapped and taken to the Capital to be tortured. At first I didn't want to think much of it or even want to believe it was true, but we'd be force to face it by seeing it happen on the screen, the torture and terror of what the captured people would go through. The pain and the humiliation in each and everyone of them. This was President Python's way of showing us who was really in charge of Panem, basically scaring us back to shape. The worst part of it all was we didn't even have the choice to believe the rumors or not, it was by law that we had to watch those people suffer. It was than that these disturbing tales became a reality for us. We eventually found out it was the capital ranked peace keepers that were going out kidnapping people from all 12 districts. Over the 12 years the capital ranked peace keepers started to be known by mouth as the grim reapers, well more like by the district people's mouths.

As we are approaching to the square, I quickly take a look around, seeing if there are any signs of the grim reapers, or even if President Python himself was here.They say that the grim reapers uniforms are different from the regular peace keepers but they all seemed to be wearing the same thing. Though the peace keepers seemed the same, I notice that the square was different looking, there were these people in these weird looking suits holding cameras, also a horrible attempt of decorations were put around the Square (if I do say so myself). But my eyes went to this huge screen that was put a few feet above the podium. Was this another horrible showing?