three.

Promptly after the embarrassing mishap that occurred with Jack, I scuttled back to my luggage with my gaze low and movements abrupt.

"You can have one of the bedrooms since you're the only girl, Mar." Nate informed me. "Over there, right across from Jack's." I looked up momentarily to observe the area he was referring to, then gave a quick nod of understanding before scurrying into the room and shutting the door behind me. Usually I would have opposed to receiving special treatment simply because of my gender, but I realized that it probably would have been best for me to be sheltered from any shenanigans the boys decided to pull. I had a feeling that I would be needing quite a lot of time away from them. Jack especially, if what happened earlier was any basis as to how things would work around here.

Falling face first onto the soft bed, I screamed into the mattress, cursing myself for being me. In my defense, though, he caught me by surprise, so it was a perfectly acceptable reaction... Right? I rolled onto my back, waves of brown encircling my head as I sprawled out across the sheets. "You're an idiot, Marley." I concluded.

It took me a whole thirty minutes to get over the crippling mortification I felt over the run in with Jack, telling myself that he probably forgot all about it by now. I had eventually grew weary of being sealed in this room with my damned thoughts, so after I freshened up in the bathroom, I scrapped my hair into a loose bun atop my head and padded out of my room. Peeking around the corner of the hallway, I was relieved to see that the suite appeared to be empty, and I could finally explore the place in peace. I straightened my posture and proceeded into the living room, possessing a standing caution as if I expected a surprise attack from one of the boys. Even on high alert, however, nothing could prepare me for the sudden voice splitting through the silence.

"Looking for something?" I twirled around to find Jack leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, that same amused smile I had seen earlier plastered on his face. He was clad in a blue muscle tank that showed off his sculpted figure and a pair of striped board shorts, but even with such simple attire, he was oozing confidence. I had to admit, he was indeed attractive. I guess my staring hadn't been as subtle as I hoped, for he gave me a questioning glance, and it was then that I realized I had failed to respond to him yet again. With a short laugh, he pushed himself off the wall and strode towards me, extending his hand. Oblivious as to what his gesture meant, my gaze traveled from his hand back up to his chiseled face. "My name's Jack. You're Mar, right?" Something about the way his smile twisted into a cocky smirk drove me crazy, and not in the way that he was used to. I refused to waste any effort on some boy who thought he could sweep me off my feet with just a single glance.

"Marley." I corrected, deciding to pass on the handshake and instead looking out towards the ocean.

Before any further unbearable conversation could ensue, the door burst open and in walked Sammy and Nate.

"Yo, even the fuckin' ice machine is sick!" Nate exclaimed, parading around with the bucket of ice. I couldn't help but giggle at their excitement for the little things, and I realized that we were the same in that aspect – except I appreciated the small details of the setting rather than the materials.

"Oh hey, Mar's out of her cave." Sammy teased. The atmosphere was so lighthearted that I decided to let it go, shaking my head instead. "Let's go to the beach before it gets dark!"

Needless to say, we all agreed that that was the best way to go. I went back into my room and fished out a black bikini from my suitcase, throwing a muscle tank and a pair of shorts over it. All those years hiding in high school had taken a toll on my self-confidence, and although I worked hard to achieve the body I wanted through exercise and healthy eating, I still find myself picking at my flaws from time to time. I left my hair piled in a bun on top of my head, and after a quick spritz of body spray, I walked back to the living room, where the boys were readily awaiting my presence.