eighteen.

Day 15.

"Jack... What did you do this time?" My eyes narrowed to strengthen the allegation in my tone of voice, the pools of brown within my irises dark under the dim lighting of the hallway. All day he had been sneaking around me, taking the initiative to avoid me at all costs, and there could be no other explanation as to why he would do it than to prevent any backlash.

Despite the skittish behavior he portrayed throughout the day, however, he chose now to put on a nonchalant act, straightening his posture and slapping on a charming smile.

"I didn't do anything, baby girl, I swear." He lifted his hands in display as if to show their cleanliness.

Baby girl. He's never used that pet name before, and it only heightened my suspicions.

"You've never called me that before." I pointed out, averting the attention away from my burning cheeks that really had the worst timing in terms of appropriate moments.

"Just expanding the horizon, Mar." He stepped forward, and I had to look up to meet his frisky fawn-colored eyes, though I wish I hadn't because I felt my previous conviction draining into a puddle at my feet. "Do you not like the nickname?" He uttered, swiping a stray hair from my forehead and tucking it behind my ear.

I lost all ability to pronounce even a single syllable, so I opted for a shake of my head, my teeth sinking into my lesser lip. Then a smirk, the one I hadn't faced in quite a while, appeared on his lips as he switched his focus from my eyes to my lips and back.

"Good," He whispered in a husky voice. "I like it too."

I gulped, too entranced within his addictive influence to realize his true intention when I caught his face moving in closer. My eyes fluttered shut in response to what I thought were the signs of a possible kiss, but when I felt his soft lips meet with the heated skin of my cheek, my stomach dropped to the floor.

"So I'm off the hook? Yes? Great, thank you." His mouth ran off the sentence in a single breath before he dashed off to his room, leaving me frozen in place until the door slammed shut and brought me back to reality.

"Jack!" I bellowed, both embarrassed and irritated by my desire for intimacy with him. I heard his laughter behind the door and he uttered a quick apology, though I knew that was all I'd be getting in relation to the initial conversation. Wrapped in a whirlwind of irascibility, I stomped my feet on the way to my room to make it clear that Jack's antics had spoiled the evening.

I was all ready to start my nightly routine early and get right to reading until I spotted a large box with a perfect pink bow on top of it perched in the middle of my bed. Being wary of its contents, I crept up to it and snatched the small envelope that was placed beside the bow.

To: Marley, it read. I recognized the scribble-like writing to belong to Jack, and now I felt guilty for accusing him of dishonest acts when really he was just planning another surprise for me. I swiftly opened the envelope and pulled out a plain white card filled with more of Jack's handwriting.

Surprise!
Didn't see this one coming, huh? I hope I didn't disappoint you with my lack of presence around you today, but maybe this will make up for it...
– Jack

I took another look at the box and tried to figure out what could possibly be in it, but when I came to no avail, I took the greatest precautions while opening it, only to lose all poise as I uncovered the one of the most beautiful dresses I've ever laid eyes on. It was a knee-length coral chiffon dress matched with a pair of nude ankle strap heels, and it was much more flashy than the first one he got me. My stomach churned as I slid my hand down the fabric, scrutinizing the price tag attached to one of the straps.