Sixteen

Cassandra woke up the next morning feeling very sore. Her neck was stiff from sleeping on
the couch and her back ached from Zach's forcefulness the previous night. Cassandra lifted her head and took in a deep yet sleepy breath.

Something smelled delicious.......... she opened her eyes, but closed them almost immediately.
All the lights were on in the house and it was hurting her eyes. she childishly rubbed her eyes with two tight fists and tried once again to open them. It was still too bright for her taste, but after blinking several times, she finally got used to the lighting.

She stood up and peeked into the kitchen where she saw Zach making breakfast on the stove.
Almost immediately, he looked back and saw here looking curiously at him, so he smiled nervously at her and said "Good morning honey."

"Good morning." Cassie replied cautiously, wondering why he had a sudden change of mood or rather heart and decided that he was just as capable of making food as she was.

"So, um," Zach began, clearly embarrassed, nervously rubbing the back of his neck, "I
made you breakfast. And I wanted to apologize. Sit down, please?" he asked,
gesturing to the chair in the kitchen. Cassie sat down and Zach brought her a plate of fried egg and toast . He then turned around and went into the fridge to get out the jar of milk. He poured her a cup
and handed it to her.

Zach took a seat directly across from her , nervously playing with his hands. she picked up a
slice of toast and began to fumble with it, waiting for Zach to start whatever it was that he wanted to say.

Sensing that she was waiting for him to start his speech he started talking.

"Okay, so maybe some things I did last night were questionable and not right " Zach began which made Lavender raise her eyebrows.

"Okay, maybe not questionable. They were wrong and I'm sorry." Zach said, looking
up at for an 'Apology accepted' sort of thing. However, with the sharp throbbing pain in
her back still reminding her of what happened the previous night, she
wasn't so sure she would forgive him easily.

"That's it? 'I'm sorry'?" Cassandra said mimicking Zach 's voice in a low, dumb sounding
tone.

"Are you serious? I made you breakfast to show how sorry i am , I apologize for no damn reason, you
should ------------" Zach stopped himself mid way with a sudden intake of breath and forced a smile on his mouth.

"I'm sorry," he said again, "It's just that's how things were done in my household. My dad used to abuse my mom all the time when I was little. That's just how I was raised. Whenever my mom messed up my dad taught her a lesson, and i swear i'm not like that ".

"Okay, I understand that. But you can't say you love me and then throw me around like that. It's just not fair. Abusing women isn't right; I won't turn into one of those girls who just let men throw them around. Okay?" Cassie said with a sharp intake of breadth and Zach reached out across
the table and gently squeezed her hand.

Cassandra was surprised to find that his eyes were moist with tears. She could feel her heart
soften and her defenses lowering .

"I know Cassie dear ; words cannot express how sorry i am." Zach apologized with such a
pitiful expression on his face, it made her feel bad for snap-shouting at him. He really knew no better and he understood how it hurt her now. She felt silly for ever even considering leaving him. she stood up and leaned over the kitchen table to give him a small peck on the lips.- her way of showing him she wasn't angry any longer.

A dull beep was heard from the living room, indicating that Cassie had just just received a text.

"One sec." Cassandra said, dismissing herself from the table to go see who texted her.
When she found her phone buried beneath the blankets, Zach- who was right behind her asked, "Who is it?"

"Alexandra ." she answered , as she opened up the text. Cassie read : Hi babe , u busy today? You still have my clothes, Missy!

"Well what does she want?" Zach questioned again.

"She just wants to know if I'm busy today. Is it alright if we hang out?" she asked him.
"If you really love me you'd stay home today..." he answered and she sighed.

"Can I at least give Alex her clothes back? I borrowed them and forgot to give them back."

"Fine, if you let me drive you there." Zach responded, and she nodded her head and turned her attention back to her phone where she wrote a reply to Alexandra : I'm working today, ( I'll drop off the clothes though!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P>S

remember to vote,

comment.