Chapter 1: Living On The Edge.

"Sawyer, how long are you gonna lock yourself up in that apartment?" my best friend asks me over the phone,

"It's not so bad." I answer.

"I know, I picked it out with you, remember?" she sighs "You've missed the New Year's Eve party, already, haven't you wrongfully punished yourself enough?"

"I am not punishing myself."

"Yes, you are!" she argues "You have missed the most anticipated party of the year, you've missed Amy Schumer dancing on top of a piano."

"I did?" I whine,

"Yeah, you did. You also missed her nip slip, Taylor Swift and her posse came in too and trashed every classic hit there ever was when they were given the chance at the Karaoke stand." she takes a breath "Kendall Jenner showed up, too... and it was super awkward with Harry styles in the same room as the two of them."

"Damn, I missed all the drama."

"I know, that's why you need to come out. Lena is going crazy here! You know no one can replace you at work. The magazine just doesn't publish without your magical touch."

"Aw, careful, your lesbian is coming out."

"Oh please," she snorts "If I were a lesbian, you'd be the last lez I'd be in." I laugh at that one "I missed that laugh." she says.

"I miss you, too." I confess.

"Then come here! You know, I'd be all over you, dragging you out, but we have that two weeks rule." she says,

"Thank you for respecting a pact we made, ten years ago, when you accidentally broke my nose for trying to pry away the ice cream when one of your college boyfriends came out."

She laughs "Of course, it's a best friend's duty to respect a ten-year-old pact. You know what else is a best friend's duty?"

"Punching her best friend's sister and boyfriend when she finds out they had an affair for six months?" I say and a familiar burn sears through my chest. It's still a little bit too early.

I still haven't gotten over it, yet. Imagine, my boyfriend and my sister having an affair halfway through our relationship. It's not something out of the ordinary for her, but him... I trusted him.

"Damn right it is." she says fiercely "And I would've done more than clocking them in the nose if you hadn't stopped me."

"It wasn't worth it." I tell her, sitting on one of my kitchen stool "They'll get their Karma."

"I hate to be those sleaze-balls, when the big K hits.." she says "but why are you locked up when they are flaunting their engagement on social media? It's them that should be ashamed not you."