Prologue

Dark night had approached. The moon was full and shining bright upon the dark castle of Herraroth. Sardun stood in the balcony as the pale moonlight hit his scarred face. The cold night air was invigorating as always. Everything was going well for him. The first piece of the Crown had been found. His master was pleased. 

Yes, Galoren and the boy had made progress but South Fariador alone won't win them the war. And based on reports by his spectres, they we're preparing to head to Arogath. Well, damn them if they convince the court to side with Galoren. Arogath was as rotten as Sardun's heart.

A cold wind blew at his face. The whispers flew with it.

'The moment nearsss...'

"You won't be solid yet, master. You won't be able to channel energy immediately."

'How many timesss mussst we have thisss dissscusssion, Sssardun?'

"I am just reminding you, Master."

'Hmm... watch your tone with me. Go now.'

With that, Sardun turned and walked. Excluding the moonlight, Herraroth was lightless. Not even a single candle lit the black corridors. Besides, the flames won't be of much use. Everything writhing inside the fortress could see very well in darkness. They had to.

Sardun looked at the ceiling and walls as he walked. Left and right. He could feel the castle itself pulsing with energy. Only minutes remain.

He arrived at the long stairwell that led to the highest tower. A snap of his fingers and he was enveloped by a dark smoke. A few seconds later, he wished the fog away. He had arrived on the top floor.

The riders were waiting for him.

A rider stepped up to him and bowed. "The circle of power has been prepared per your instructions, master. Are you ready to begin the summoning?"

The room was circular, and lit by black flame. The pale white light that the fire emitted seem eerie. In the middle of the room, there was a strange pedestal. Lord Morgodor had taste...

"Nearly", Sardun said as he procured the most essential piece of the ritual. Sardun had never held nor fully understood the Crown before, but he knew why Morgodor prized it so. The shard of black was cold to the touch, the only thing that has ever made Sardun cold for a long time. Dark energy radiated out of the piece of the Crown. Sardun rolled the piece of the Crown between his fingertips. All the possibilities... 

'Sssardun... do not dare delay the ritual any longer.'

Sardun placed the crystal upon the pedestal. The floor glowed a pale green corpse light that flowed out of the markings placed beforehand. The circular room became eerily quiet. Sardun assumed his place among the riders, and they drew.

Sardun was surprised. The black glyphs that they drew in the air were different from their usual spells. The energy swirled and writhed and groaned as if it wanted to break out and rampage around the room. Such was the pure power of the Crown. Sardun realized... they have not even scratched the surface of  the first piece's full power.

The green light was changing now into a bright, rusty orange... The rust light was constantly flickering, swaying, brightening then fading. The preparations were made...

Now, the circle was ready.

The whisper in the dark waited eagerly in anticipation... At last, he shall return.

There was no reason to wait any longer.

'Let the Sssummoning... commence!'