Gerda in Sweden

GERDA IN SWEDEN ***

Produced by Curtis Weyant and the PG Online Distributed Proofreading Team.

LITTLE PEOPLE EVERYWHERE

GERDA IN SWEDEN

BY ETTA BLAISDELL McDONALD AND JULIA DALRYMPLE

Authors of "Kathleen in Ireland," "Manuel in Mexico," "Umé San in Japan," "Rafael in Italy," "Fritz in Germany," "Boris in Russia," "Betty in Canada," etc.

1910

PREFACE

The Swedish people are a hospitable, peace-loving race, kindly and industrious, making the most of their resources. In the south of Sweden are broad farming-lands with well-tilled fields and comfortable red farmhouses; in the central portion are hills and dales, rich in mines of copper and iron which have been famous for hundreds of years. In the cities and towns are factories where thousands of workers are employed, making all sorts of useful articles, from matches to steam-engines. The rivers which flow down to the sea from the western chain of mountains carry millions of logs from the great dark forests. As soon as the ice breaks up in the spring, whole fleets of fishing boats and lumber vessels sail up and down the coast; sawmills whirr and buzz all day long; the hum of labor is heard all over the land.

In this Northland the winter days are short and cold; but there are the long sunny summer days, when even in the south of Sweden midnight is nothing but a soft twilight, and in the north the sun shines for a whole month without once dipping below the horizon. This is a glorious time for both young and old. The people live out-of-doors day and night, going to the parks and gardens, rowing and sailing and swimming, singing and dancing on the village green, celebrating the midsummer festival with feasting and merry-making,--for once more the sun rides high in the heavens, and Baldur, the sun god, has conquered the frost giants.

Just such a happy, useful life is found in this little story. Gerda and her twin brother take a trip northward across the Baltic Sea with their father, who is an inspector of lighthouses. On their way they meet Karen, a little lame girl. After going farther north, into Lapland, where they see the sun shining at midnight, and spend a day with a family of Lapps and their reindeer, Gerda takes Karen home to Stockholm with her so that the child may have the benefit of the famous Swedish gymnastics for her lameness. Then such good times as the three children have together! They go to the winter carnival to see the skating and skiing; they celebrate Yule-tide with all the good old Swedish customs; and there is a birthday party for the twins, when Karen also receives a gift,--the very best gift of all.

CONTENTS

CHAPTER

I. GERDA AND BIRGER

II. THE SURPRISE BOX

III. ON BOARD THE "NORTH STAR"

IV. GERDA'S NEW FRIEND

V. CROSSING THE POLCIRKEL

VI. THE MIDNIGHT SUN

VII. ERIK'S HOME IN LAPLAND

VIII. FOUR-FOOTED FRIENDS

IX. KAREN'S BROTHER

X. A DAY IN SKANSEN

XI. THROUGH THE LOCKS

XII. A WINTER CARNIVAL

XIII. YULE-TIDE JOYS

XIV. SPURS AND A CROWN

XV. THE MIDSUMMER FESTIVAL

GERDA IN SWEDEN

CHAPTER I