Chapter 10

Jesse 

“Are we there yet?” I asked as I heard Ireland unbuckling her seatbelt.

“Yep,” Ireland said. “Don’t take off your blindfold yet, though.”

“Aw, come on,” I groaned. “You know I hate blindfolds.”

I suddenly felt Ireland’s lips on mine. My heart exploded. It was like she was kissing me for the first time. I was getting this feeling I’d never felt before. Something weird...down there.

“Ireland,” I gasped, “there’s something wrong with me.”

She frowned. “What do you mean?” she asked, looking concerned.

“Down...down there,” I said. “It’s moving.”

Ireland followed my eyes and burst out laughing.

“What?” I asked. 

“That’s completely natural,” Ireland said, wiping tears from her eyes. “It means you like  me. It’s okay. Everything’s fine.”

“But wait...I’m so confused!” I wailed. “I didn’t know it moves, I just thought you pee out of it!” That just made Ireland laugh harder.

“I’ll make Hunter explain it to you later,” she said.

I heard her get out the car and walk to my side. I unbuckled my seat belt and Ireland opened my door and helped me get out of her car.

“Almost there,” she said, leading me at a steady pace. I felt the air switch from warm to cold as we went in her house.

“Okay,” Ireland said, “take off the blindfold.”

I untied it and shoved it off my head. 

“SURPRISE!” 

That scared me so much I accidentally shot a plasma bolt from my hand into a nearby vase. Everyone’s gaze flew from me to the melted vase.

“I, uh-”

“Who wants cake?” someone yelled, and Julia came up to me with this big-ass knife in her hand. “Your weapon, sir,” she said. I took it, looking confused.

“Get it?” Julia asked. “Because you’re supposed to cut the cake...and it’s your weapon? Actually, now that I think about it, it’s not really a weapon, but-”

“Jules, I just saw a squirrel outside,” Ireland interrupted her. Julia’s eyes lit up.

Ooh!” she squealed. “I’ll catch it and bring it back for you. Wait here!”

I looked at Ireland, puzzled, but she just laughed.

“Don’t ask,” she said.

“So,” I said, looking around, “I thought this was supposed to be my party. Everyone’s ignoring me.”

“They just came for the cake,” Ireland admitted.

“Nice,” I said, grinning and shaking my head. “Really nice.”

“Hey guys.” Hunter, Nichole, Alex, and Dylan had walked up to us.

“I got it!” Julia suddenly came running back in the house holding a baby squirrel.

“Dude, is that a squirrel?” Hunter asked, looking excited.

“Yep!” Julia said. “I caught him by myself.”

“Let’s name him Shadow!” Hunter yelled. They both jumped up and down, squealing.

“You guys wanna walk to the pet store with us to go see what we need for him?” Julia asked. We all nodded, and went out the front door.

I’m thankful for everything I have. I’m thankful for everything I went through. It made me a stronger person. I’m thankful that I have people who love me and want to protect me. 

Don’t cut yourself off. Form ties with people that’ll build you up. Don’t protect yourself from the mania in your mind. Let it flow freely and be who you want to be.

I smiled, feeling safe for the first time as my new family and I walked into the sunset.