Chapter 4

She was beautiful, really. Short, skinny, but graceful looking. She was wearing light purple super- skinny jeans and a white tank top under a black knotted shirt.

She had deep blue eyes, almost green. A sprinkle of freckles crossed the bridge of her nose. She had tiny lips and super curly, bright red hair. She was really adorable.

Day-um,” Dylan was the first to comment. “Ooh dat bitch fine. Dat bitch FINE!”

“First, I’m not a bitch,” Nichole contradicted him. “And second, you’re cute, too, but your ego is most likely bigger than your dick.”

Oh!” Alex yelled. “Fucking toasted!” Nichole smiled at me.

“I’m guessing you’re Ireland,” she said, giving me a hug. “You’re so pretty.”

“Not prettier than you,” I said.

“Damn right!” Hunter said from behind me. I elbowed him in the stomach and smiled.

“And this is Hunter, my twin,” I said. He and Nichole shook hands. Introduced her to Alex and Dylan, who warmed up to her instantly.

“I’ll carry those for you,” Dylan said, grinning at her. She rolled her eyes and threw her bags at him. “I like a girl who plays hard to get,” he said, taking two bags and giving Alex the other two as we walked out the doors of the Metropolitan Airport.

~ ~ ~

We went to Julia’s house and dropped her and Nichole off so they could get situated, then headed to my house. My parents were home. Me and Hunter exchanged a look as we were getting out of the car. Dylan and Alex looked sort of nervous, too.

We all stepped inside. As soon as we did, a wave of alcohol hit our noses. I sneezed.

“Mom? Dad?” Hunter called throughout the house. “Where are you guys?”

The four of us went slowly into my parents’ room. They were both lying in bed, passed out. At least six beer bottles each were scattered around them. I felt tears well up in my eyes, and Dylan hugged me. “It’s okay,” he said. “Let’s just clean them up.”

With Dylan and Alex helping, Hunter and I threw away all the beer bottles, cleaned my parents up, and spread the covers over them. We sighed, looking at them.

My parents had become alcoholics a few months ago. I guess the stress of work was too much for them. It hurt me to see that they’d rather drink than facing their problems.

The four of us went to my room and just sat around. Hunter and Alex were playing Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Dylan and I were lying on my bed.

“How long are they gonna be passed out like that?” Dylan asked me. I shrugged emotionlessly.

“Maybe five, six,” I said. Dylan looked confused.

“Hours? Minutes? Days?” he asked. I shrugged again.

“Take your pick.”

“Look, Ireland,” Dylan said, sitting up, “you can’t keep avoiding it forever.”

“Yes I can,” I said, and plugged my headphones in and tuned him out even though I knew he was right.

~ ~ ~

Hunter

I could fucking care less about my parents being drunk idiots. If they want to drink their problems away then don’t let me interfere. I see Ireland’s really hurt by it, but she doesn’t say anything. God, I hate to see her upset over anything. It breaks my heart.