15] Setting Things Straight

ღ•Amber's POV•ღ

Everything was back to normal. Almost. Savannah just wasn't the same girl that I became best friends with. Her carefree spirit has disappeared almost completely. She's sad all the time and I couldn't stand it another minute.

"Savannah can I talk to you for a second?" I ask.

"Of course." She mumbled and followed me upstairs.

I sat her down on my bed as her eyes got glossy with tears. I took one of her hands into both of mine.

"Please. Tell me what's going on." I beg and she doesn't look up from her lap.

She sighed and shook her head lightly but opened her mouth to speak.

"Ever since the accident I haven't been able to look at you the same... I didn't know what to do with myself because my best friend was unconscious. It scared me to hell because I thought you weren't going to wake up.

"You were so bloody and you had cuts and bruises as long and big as my arms all over you. I thought you were dead when I saw you. But when I asked, the paramedics said you were alive just unconscious. It took them almost a half and hour to get you out of the smashed car. There was a point where I thought they weren't going to get you out. But eventually they tore the door off and I got a good look at you.

"You were drenched in your own blood and you were leaning forward and look as lifeless as a rock." She paused taking a deep breath and cried as I rubbed her arm. "I couldn't stand to be in the same hospital room as you. Every time I blinked I saw the bloody you on the inside of my eyelids... So I avoided seeing you all together.

"The one time you called us down was the one time I came to see you since you were unconscious. I just couldn't bring myself to look at you... When you were awake it got better but it was still so hard. Even looking at you now I still see the image of the bloody girl I saw in the accident..." She finished and the stream of tears got heavier.

"Savannah... I'm fine! Look at me. I'm walking normally. I feel fine! I promise you I'm ok." I say stroking her arm lightly.

She wipes her eyes and nods. It hurt me to see her like this. She scared me telling me about myself. I had no idea I was that bad. I mean I knew there were cuts and bruises because I could feel them but I had no idea they were so big... I felt bad for her. I wish she never saw me like that. I wish I could erase that horrible image from her brain. But I can't. I could never imagine myself in her position.

"I'm sorry..." I apologize.

"Why are you sorry?" She laughs. "You didn't ask to be in a car crash..."

"No I didn't... I have to tell you I was terrified. I was facing my biggest fear. I've been through what you have except the victim got the bad end... My parents died in a situation like that. When I felt the impact of the car I froze. It smashed my door in pinning me into the car. I felt the blood dropping all over me... I was freaking out. Eventually I passed out. But it was a horrible experience. Believe me. I know how you feel. It'll get better... I promise..." I comfort her.

"Thank you..." She says softly.

"You're welcome. Now where's that smile?"

She pulled her lips into a grin and I laugh. It was nice to see her smile again. I looked into her eyes and for an instant I saw the happy go lucky girl I became best friends with. She was slowly coming back.

I didn't want her to change. I love her just the way she is. Her carefree attitude makes me envy her. I could never take the things that she does. She's strong. If I experienced the same thing twice I wouldn't be able to handle it. I would break down. But she made it through. Because she can.