A Song of Power

• Dedicated to Candace Faustino

There's a power in every song.

As I stand in front of hundreds of people waiting from me to begin, I close my eyes and tighten my grip on the microphone. Randall's stick beat the cue. Once. Twice. Thrice. And the first note and beat invigorated the already excited air, boring to my very bones. I felt the melody rather than heard it, ringing in my ears, mixing with the beat of my heart. I sense the power of the song stirs everything I feel. All the sadness, the broken promises and the pain stabbing my very heart resonates with the melody. I just want to scream and shout and let it all out. So I sang with all that I got, with all the shards of my once soring heart.

As the words filters to the air, harmony surrounded me, vibrating with my very soul. Every memory flashes behind my closed eyes. Our first meeting. Our arguments. Those silly chats. The way you smile. You holding my hands. The way hold me in your arms. The way you kissed me. It stings. It burns. Raw emotions flood into my voice.

I open my eyes already brimming with the tears ready to fall. I see you. I hold your eyes with mine. And I sing to you. All the words written in this song are meant for you. My voice is the medium to tell you of how you hurt me, of how painful it was when you left me. I want to let you know of my anguish, of my sadness. I will sing this song till my heartache ends, till this very voices breaks.

Your face turns sour when you catch the message. It morphs to guilty to sad to pleading for me to understand that what you did was for the best. But that isn't the case. You are wrong to give up for all those crappy reason you told me. You just don't want to risk it. You are a coward. And this I know you know, you realized your fault, for tears fall down your regretful and sad grey eyes. In that moment, I know that there's a power in every song.