Chapter 4

(DEREK'S POV)

I rushed in and I seen a lady holding Zaryana

"What is going on?" I half yelled.

That's when I realized it was the lady from the flower shop. She was Zaryana's babysitter? I just stood there in shock. I looked at her and her eyes shown with recognization.

"What are you doing here!?" I said softer than before and reached for Zaryana.

"I help my sister with the babysitting program." she said moving her right arm so I could get Zaryana better.

My hands went around Zaryana's waist and she screamed and tried climbing up Lily.

"Zaryana, its okay sweetie its just your dad," she said and Zaryana looked at me and frowned.

Why did she frown? She never frowns at me? I tried again.

"No, Daddy!" she screamed and grabbed Lily tighter.

I widened my eyes and I tried not to look hurt. I watched Lily look over to her sister and she also had a look of shock.

"Zary, honey. We have to go home." I tried but she shook her head not looking at me. "Look at me, sweetie."

"No!" she yelled.

I looked at Lily for help, and ran my hand through my hair.

"Sweetie, can you look at me please?" Lily asked looking at her. She looked at Lily, "Why don't you want to go home?"

She shrugged.

"Can you tell me, Sweetie?"

"I'm scared" she said and her lip quivered.

"Your daddy will be with you, hon."

"Not like you," Zaryana said and started crying.

"What do you mean not like me?" she said now rubbing her back.

"You do it like mommy did it,"

Oh wow did that hit me full blast. We never talked about her mom. And I definitely lacked the comforting and mother figure. It was hard to be both figures especially since I never planned to lose my wife. I tried but I could never be able to do everything a mother could do. It ripped my heart in two to see my baby girl like this. I looked up and seen Lily was crying.

"Why you crying?" Zary asked.

"I don't like it when my favorite girl cries. Listen to me sweetie. You have to go home with your daddy. I want you to show me just how much of a big girl you can be okay?" she said.

"I can be a big girl." she said and let go of her.

Lily put her down and stayed kneeling, "Well I don't know about that." she smiled.

"I can!" Zary squealed.

"I guess we will have to find out. Now I want you to give me a hug. Then go and give your daddy a hug and kiss. Can you do that for me big girl?" Lily asked her as Zary hugged her.

As soon as she was done hugging Lily, she ran into my waiting arms and I knelt down. I mouthed a thank you and she smiled.

"Before you leave tomorrow morning, when you drop Zaryana off ,we have something to discuss so please try to be early." Linsey spoke up.

"Will do. I work at noon tomorrow so I'll be here around 11." I looked at Zaryana, "Ready to go Zary?"

"Yeah," she said and yawned.

"Zaryana, you want to take your pictures you colored earlier?" Lily asked grabbing them.

"Yeah," she said and leaned her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes.

"You can just grab them in the morning." she said walking with me to the door.

"Thanks, see you tomorrow Lily." I said and left.

She was still standing at the door staring off. Did she get a call or something when I was putting Zary in? Should I leave or make sure she was okay. It was probably safer to just go home but then it would bother me all night. I'll just make sure she's okay.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah," she said looking at me.

"Okay," I said and turned to walk to my car and I turned back and seen she turned to go back inside the house.

"Hey, wait. I have something to say to you." I said and she turned around.

"Yeah?" she said.

"I'm really sorry about early at the flower shop." I said shifting suddenly feeling guilty.

She smiled, "Its okay,"

"No, its not I was a complete jerk and you were so sweet to me."

"Really, its okay."

"Thanks," I smiled starting to walk backwards to my car, "My name is Derek by the way."

"That's good to know," she whispered and I barely heard it before turning around.

I smiled as I got into my car. Wait was I crushing on my daughters babysitter?