Chapter 3

"Are you okay, Lou?" Harry knocks on the door as I hit my head on the wall again. "The lawyer is here." I rub the forming bump on my head.

"I'm coming," I reply, pulling on a pair of sweatpants. I trudge out the door. I've been worried about this all week and now the day is finally here. The man in the suit stands up as I approach. 

"Micheal Pines. Good to meet you." He holds out his hand and I shake it, plopping onto the couch next to Harry. The rest of the guys couldn't make it, and honestly I'm really glad. 

"So, I've looked into your case, Mr. Tomlinson, and you're chances for partial custody look pretty good. You haven't been in any trouble with the police even though the news suggests otherwise-" 

"I want full custody." I inform him, not believing the words as they come out of my mouth. 

"Lou you can't take care of a-" Harry objects but I cut him off.

"I want full custody." I repeat. Michael stares at the paperwork as if it will reveal the meaning of why a 21 year old in the prime of his career would want to take on a full time 3 year old. 

"I don't think we're going to be able to do that for you, Mr. Tomlinson." He says, shuffling the papers in his lap.

"Okay, then I want her every other week." I inform him. "Possibly more."

"Lou are you really sure you want-" 

"Yes I want my daughter!" I shout.

"I was going to say are you sure you want to see Jennifer that much." Harry says quietly.

"I'll do anything for my daughter." I tell them. 

"You don't even know her name, Louis! You don't know her damn name!" Harry shouts. He stands up and storms out of the room. 

************ 

"Thanks again, Louis."  Jenna smiles at me as she clutches her books to the chest. 

"Anytime, Jen." I smile back at her as we walk past her apartment. 

"I guess I'll see you." She pushes a strand of hair from her eyes.  

"Yeah see you." I wave half heartedly. I start to walk up the sidewalk as there's a clatter behind me. Jenna waves from the second story  window. I wave back and turn back around. SNAP! The strap of my bookbag collapses onto the sidewalk and the books spill everywere.

"Shit." I mutter slouching to the ground to pick up the the contents of the bag. 

"Daddy, Daddy no!" The shouts come from the open window on the second story of the apartment building. 

"Shut up, you little twit!" The screams stream out of the window until it slams shut. The noise is dulled but still there. 

"Jenna!" I abandon my books on the sidewalk and burst into the building. I pound up the steps up to the second floor. I pound on the apartment door. It swings open.

"Get out of here, boy." Liquor reeks in his breath.

"I need to see Jenna." I tell him but he slams the door. I pound for a while but nobody comes. Eventually I tramp back down the stairs, pick up my books, and start the slow, boring walk home. And then it starts to rain.