Chapter 1: Thanks to Ariel

Hi! Im Eliza Marshall. I'm 19 and from Bradford, England. Nobody may know what I do. Although I'm in college for law and business, I love to sing! Singing is a way for me to express myself. It's a hidden talent that only few know about. My best friend, Ariel Hemmings, pushes my singing career over a criminal case any day. She says I have a voice like an angel, apparently. "Eliza is a voice goddess! She should have been on X-Factor." Let's just say that there was an incident at a recital that makes me stage frighten.

The thing is that I have to NO TALENT at all, supposedly. My mother was one of the greatest singers at our church. After the car accident, her talent was taken away from us. My father lost his happiness, and raised me believing that I myself had no talent. "Eliza, you should know better. Singing is not a practical occupation. We must keep ourselves preparing for the future. This acting is interfering with your studies." My father's happiness will be restored once I get my diploma and become the number one lawyer in Bradford.

Because I'm in college, I kinda get a break from the No Talent act. Every once in a while, I go to a local night club with Ariel, and listen to some people sing. Apparently from a bet made in Year 10, Ariel can make me do any one thing. Her dare is based on my "musical career."

"Eliza, this Thursday, there is going to be a singing competition!" Ariel said with a smirk.

"That sounds interesting. Do you want to go to it?" I asked.

"More like do you have the confidence to get up in front of people and sing your heart out?"

"What the hell? You fuckin' signed me up behind my back? You bitch!!!" I slapped her on the shoulder.

"Well, this guy came up to me the other day, and asked me to do it, and I have no grain of talent, unlike Miss Triple Threat over here! So I starting talking about you and your talents, and he said that I seemed liked a good friend to sign you up, and then I remember the bet... so I signed you up. Plus you need to get over the time when you were so nervous that you..."

"OKAY! My gosh, Ariel, not in the open atmosphere, where every ear is ease dropping."

"Well then... So 8 o'clock... Thursday?" Ariel asked.

"Fine. You win... unfortunately." I give into her devilishness.

***

Two hours before the show, we are at my apartment, playing adult dress up, finding the perfect outfit to beat the other competitors in. We finally decided on my mother's simple black dress with shoulder sleeves and a mid-thigh skirt. My hair was put half up- half down, curled, with my make-up in a smoky design. At that moment, we left the apartment, and headed for the night club.

Surprisingly, there were a couple people there, at least seven girls, including myself, and four boys. This one particular boy had an smirk directed toward me. I tried to smile back at the tall boy with black hair and brown eyes, but he started to talk to some waitress he was impressed with. I shook it off, because this was some competition than a relaxing night to others.

As I signed in, Ariel had slipped away from me. She was seen talking to some blonde at the bar. A hand slipped around my waist.

"Hey sweetheart... why don't we hang out after this little musical gig?" The guy was obviously drunk.

"Um, no thanks. I'm here with a friend." I tried to slip out of his grasp.

"C'mon baby. Let me show you some fun..."

"HEY! Get your hands off that girl!" a voice yelled.

I turned to see a guy coming up to the creep physically attached to me.

"Who are you sonny? I am having a delightful conversation here."

"That is obviously none of your business. This however, is affecting my entire mood. No young, beautiful girl would want to be seen with you in a million of years. So maybe she considers this a rape!" the powerful voice said.

I recognized the voice from moments before.

"Fine, hey honey, don't forget this moment..." the man left the club.

"Thanks. He was a real creep." I thanked the guy.

"No problem. It is because I have two younger sisters. I'm Zayn by the way."

"Eliza. Eliza Marshall."

"Well, I hope to see you soon. Right now, I have to be somewhere."

"Goodbye." I said. This guy was really something. After the incident, Ariel comes over.

"Good luck buddy! You got this!" Ariel cheered me on.

That's what she thought...

So I hope you guys liked the first part of The Riff Off. Because of my love for music, I thought a music competition would be a great setting for this story.

~Dedication to a commenter~

-elizabeth:*