11 || Shadows

After hanging up the call, Michael felt the familiar heaviness settle on his shoulders. He didn't know why he couldn't just tell his sister about his stupid secret cellphone. Was it so wrong that there were other people who cared for him? Why did he feel the need to lie about this?

Ugh, Michael wanted to slap himself. He couldn't let his parents' words sway him into giving up on this life with Arabella. They've worked so hard the past year and if he just upped and dropped everything, it would be unfair not only to her, but to him as well. Sure, they might be working a job similar to con artists, but it wasn't completely illegal. They hadn't had complaints, which only meant that Arabella's skills (acting) were freaking awesome. Didn't they dream of this life before? That only the two of them can survive whatever, living a life of adventure...

"Michael, how long do you think this will last?" his dad asked him on the phone. "Your college applications won't last forever." When Michael didn't respond, he kept talking. "Your mom and I... We understand this need to be free and make up for lost time with your sister, but Mikey... If we find out that she isn't taking care of you, you will leave us no choice."

Michael's hands felt cold. He was terrified. He was terrified that he will lose his chance for college. Terrified to upset his parents and Arabella with whatever decision he comes up with.

Other than that, he was genuinely scared that the longer he stayed with Arabella would ultimately endanger her. What if one of these days, he missed to call his parents and they freak out and report Arabella for kidnapping? It brought tears to his eyes. Just maybe, he had to tell Arabella about this.

If only Arabella had stayed in the orphanage years ago, they would probably have gotten adopted together. But that was Arabella for you. She hated relying on other people. She never gave her trust so easily, not after what happened to them. And she would never give up her freedom--especially now that she knew that she can take care of the two of them financially.

"I'm not ready," he thought in defeat. After washing his face, Michael returned to his sister and their strange friend. They were sitting beside each other, hunched over their chairs as if they were on a date. It made his forehead tick, but he was grateful that Louis was here to divert his thoughts about his problems. Although Michael knew he had to face the music soon enough, he needed a few more days to think this through.

Life with or without Arabella?

When Michael cleared his throat, Arabella and Louis jumped in their seats away from each other. She laughed nervously and pointed at the piece of paper on the table.

Then and there it dawned on him that his sister liked Louis. He had teased her about it, sure, but he never really thought about it that way. Maybe she was actually serious about marrying this bloke. Truthfully, Arabella had such a strong sense when it came to people, and the puzzle that was Louis was alarming, but it was also an indicator that he wasn't giving off any negative vibes.

"Look, Darling, the bazaar!"

Michael huffed, letting his eyes linger on their flushed faces. What were they talking about? "Sure. A bazaar." I wasn't born yesterday.

"No! It's the bazaar!" Arabella gushed. "This means Lillai is back in town with really cool stuff. I have to be there. See you guys later!"

As they watched Arabella dash to the exit with her purse in hand, Michael could only snicker. "Girls and shopping, right?"

Louis took the discarded newspaper page from the table. "So that's what she was looking at," he said with a confused look on his face. "I thought we were reading the comics section together."