Chapter Thirty-Four

Without thinking, I ran.

    I just knew that I needed to get away from Lilith before she kills me. I just knew that it’s unfinished business that she’s determined to get out of the way. I felt my feet touching the soft, muddy earth through my sneakers as I ran. My hair was flying behind me as my breath began to come out into pants, but that didn’t stop me. Not even the rain, which has now turned into a light drizzle didn’t even slow me down. It strangely felt a little repetitive, but I quickly realized the meaning of it as the trees pass by.

    This is my nightmare coming to life.

    I stole a quick glance over my shoulder, and I don’t see her behind me, and by the time I turned to face forward, my body suddenly collides with something hard, knocking the air out of me. I found myself on the ground, the feeling of nausea crept into my stomach, right where Lilith’s leg had just kicked it.

    “Wow, it’s been two minutes and you thought that you could easily escape?” I saw Lilith, standing by a huge pine tree, looking down at me with nothing but pure hate. “Typical.” She added with a laugh.

    “Please, just take my blood, and get it over with.” I managed, my voice sounding weak, the pain after her kick made it almost impossible for me to speak.

    “Shut up! I don’t even want your blood, it was already tainted anyway!” Lilith shouted, her blue eyes showing nothing but revulsion. Her long blond hair began to flutter in the breeze as I watch her stance from the ground, still clutching my stomach. “Let me guess, he already drank from you didn’t he?”

    I don’t bother to answer as I braced myself for the pain that I know is coming, still trying to numb the pain in my stomach with my hand, but instead she continues to talk.

    “I suppose you want to know, why we—Jack, Phoebe, and I—have been out to kill you in your incarnations, or should I say that you’ve been dying to know.” Lilith began, her tone menacing. I didn’t bother to answer her, but that didn’t stop her monologue. “It was…a few centuries ago, when I discovered an ancient library, unbeknownst to most of the world’s renowned archeologists. This was a place unlike any old fashioned place. This library, knows about people’s pasts, present, and future. And, when Draco encountered you for the first time, I decided to do a little homework.

    “After doing some poking around, I’ve discovered that you were not only meant to be ‘The One’ ”—she made air quotes around the words—“you were meant to become a part of this life. At least that’s what the numerous tomes I’ve read said, but you know what they say, everything written in print isn’t always true.” She laughed, but it was not the friendly kind of laugh, it was one that makes your skin crawl with goose bumps. “And, I was certainly not going to stand by and watch Draco go off, and abandon everything we know for a naive, helpless mortal.” She finished, her voice still holding the infliction of anger.

    “I’m sorry if I upset you, but you got to understand that, if this library does exist, then maybe Draco wasn’t meant to be with you.” I said, hoping that my words were somewhat convincing, even if it did sound feeble to my lips.

    But she just laughed, sounding more like the peals of a clock tower—loud, menacing. “You actually thought I led the coven to kill you—over and over again—just so I can have Draco in my arms?” she laughed even harder as my face scrunched in confusion. “No. I didn’t do it for me, I’m not that selfish, although I did enjoy his company when it was the four of us…” She trailed off, not bothering to finish.

    I gulped, knowing that her soliloquy is coming to an end, and also knowing that this time, no one is coming to save me—just like my nightmare. Death has found me this time, and she’s not taking any prisoners.

    I closed my eyes, knowing that I won’t live much longer, hoping he’s somewhere nearby, I thought, Draco, wherever you are. Lilith has got me, and I don’t know if I’m going to live much longer. Just know that I lo—my thoughts were interrupted when a pale hand clutches tightly around my neck.

    “You actually thought you could send your last good bye through your thoughts to him, or did you forget that all vampires are excellent mind readers?” Lilith laughed menacingly. Her grip around my neck tightening as my breath came out in gasps.  

    I met her gaze, and, with what may as well be my last breath, I said, “I. Don’t. Care. Bitch.”