Chapter Ten

Unfortunately, Raven got sick during her sixth period class, and had to go home. At least that’s what her text message said when I picked up my phone after changing into my regular clothes in the locker room. So that means I immediately went home after gym. I drove home through the drizzling rain with the radio on to a soft rock station I’d prefer over Raven’s loud hip-hop station. I was just lucky that I finally get a chance to listen to something other than Lil Wayne, or Kanye West. On some of the songs, I’d find myself singing along with the lyrics, I mean, I’m not a bad singer; it’s just surprising to hear me sing again.

    When I finally arrived home, I almost had a heart attack when I see a familiar silver Lexus parked outside my house with a familiar figure leaning against the hood, and looking so casual. And after I parked my car in the garage, he’s already standing by the back door, and not a drop of precipitation on his person, nor on his clothes.

    “Hey.” He said after I opened my door, and stepped out.

    “What are you doing here?” I said after dashing through the down poor, house key in hand, and after standing under the eave I realized that my shirt is slightly drenched.

    He laughs when he said, “Is there anything wrong with me wanting to see you?” and wrapped his arm around my shoulder as I turn the key.

    “I guess there’s nothing wrong about that.” I murmured unwillingly.

    I shook my head as I opened the door, wiped my feet on the rug, and walked into the kitchen. I tried my best to keep my breathing under control when he entered the house, and followed me. I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge. I offered him one, but he just shook his head before I could finish asking him. I mentally added that note to my growing list as I took a swig. After setting my bottle down, I found him standing very close to me, and I almost forgot to breathe—again—when he entwined his hand with mine.

    “Why did your parents decide to transfer you to Westfield?” he asked in a whisper.

    I gaped at him.

    This question is definitely one of the forbidden ones—a list of questions that I would without a doubt never answer, even if I was held against my will, or offered a million dollars to answer it. I looked down at the floor, all the while, trying to think of an excuse, or an inconspicuous way to change the subject. “You can trust me.” He added before pressing his lips to the edge of my jaw.

    I took a deep, shaky breath before I answered reluctantly. “I honestly have no idea why they made me go to Westfield. I mean, one day I was coming home from my old school in L.A., and they basically dropped the A-bomb on me when they told me that I’ll be moving to Houston, and I’d be going to one of the worst schools in history.” I said, finishing the sentence on a high note that easily reminded me of the way Raven sometimes speaks.

    “That doesn’t seem fair.” He murmured.

    “Life is always unfair.” I said, repeating the same words Mom had told me numerous times. I shook my head, desperate to change the subject when I asked, “What brought you to Westfield? I mean, you never did tell me.”

    He didn’t answer at first. His gaze quickly evaded mine, and for a moment I actually thought I hit one of his weak spots.  “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.” I said, already feeling guilty for making him look like this.

    “Well, I grew tired of seeing the same sights of the beautiful Tuscany villas, needed a change in the scenery. Plus, it’s been a while since I’ve been on American soil, so I grabbed the first flight out of Rome, to one of the biggest cities in a state I’ve never been, and here I am.” He said, his gaze meeting mine, and his lopsided grin back on his beautiful face.