Chapter Fifteen

“Could this get any worse?” Raven complained, almost to herself, but her voice was loud enough to make other passer-bys stare at her, giving her looks that say, “She’s nuts.” But she doesn’t pay any attention to them.

    I shook my head. “I didn’t know my car was going to suddenly die on me.” I said, my voice already sarcastic.

    “It was a rhetorical question Willa.” She hissed, her pace never halting, and her eyes still looking at the arena in the distance.

    I pressed my lips together, forcing myself to keep quiet, and let Raven talk it out in a monologue. I followed behind, my pace trying to catch up with her, but I think that she’s purposely trying to get rid of me. Before I knew it, she’s already at the street corner, but she doesn’t even stop, and wait for me when the crossing lights flashed on the other side.

    I took a deep breath, and tried my best to keep up with her. Even when I yelled, “Slow down,” she doesn’t waver.

    I stopped, promising myself that I’d only be a minute as I tried to catch my breath. I don’t even know why Raven would get upset over something that’s beyond my control, even when I called the insurance, and met with a recording telling me they’re unavailable, she wouldn’t stop her stream of complaints. Of course, she’ll possibly forget about it by the time the concert is over.

    I was about to make a run for it, to catch up with her, when a car horn causes me to jump. I looked over, seeing a sleek red car, pulling up to the curve, and stopping right next to me.

    The side window opens, revealing the face of a kind girl, who looks like she might be around my age. Right next to her, in the driver’s seat, a boy also possibly around my age with light brown hair, sits with his pale hands on the steering wheel. I also notice belatedly that the girl is also pale, almost matching her blond hair that reaches her shoulders.

    “Are you okay? You look lost.” The girl said, her blue eyes glowing with kindness, but I couldn’t help but feel the ping in my gut.

    I shook my head when I said, “I think I am.” I laughed, making it light, and hopefully making them drive away.

    She smiled, revealing perfect, ultra-white teeth. “Do you need a lift?” she asked, the kindness also in her tone, but to me, it sounded forced.

    I stalled, thinking of an excuse that seems believable. “I don’t know. I mean, I’m heading toward the Toyota Center…” I paused, letting the words sink in.

    The girl glanced back at the guy behind the wheel, and after he nodded once, she quickly looked back at me, her smile still on her beautiful features. “Well, we’re heading there anyway. Why don’t you save some energy by riding with us?” she asked.

    I took a deep breath before looking her in the eye, and reluctantly, nodding once.

    “You can ride in the back.” She said, her thumb jabbing toward the back door.

    I hesitantly walked toward the back door, my hand already at the handle when I see another person sitting in the back. And when I open the door, I saw another girl with long brown hair sitting on the other side of the car, cringing way like a shy child. But I noticed that her eyes didn’t look scared, or even intimidated, they looked cold and hard.

    I ignored it as I slowly slide right in, and closed the door behind me. I took several deep breaths, trying to calm myself despite the fact that I’m in a total stranger’s car, even if the said strangers are kind, and courteous. I felt the car pick up speed as it continued on the path Raven and I were originally taking.