Chapter 5

Camila smiled as she opened the door to a nervous looking Lauren, jumping when the girl held up her hand and a rose popped out of her sleeve. She should've expected it, really.

"So damn cute." Camila muttered, smiling as she took the flower from Lauren. "Thank you."

"You ready to go? I was thinking, maybe, we could go to the carnival. You know, unless you had your heart set on going to the movies or something?"

"No, the carnival is good. I'm just going to go give this to my mom and we can leave."

Lauren nodded, bouncing lightly on her toes as Camila disappeared inside the house.

Lauren smiled when Sofia's head peeked around the side of the door.

"Hey, what're you doing sneaking around?"

"Mila said I wasn't to come see you until you guys were back." Sofia whispered. "But I wanted to tell you that I done the trick you taught me on my teacher and she liked it. She asked me how I done it but I didn't say."

"That's cool, I'll teach you a new one next time I see you, alright?" Lauren smiled and Sofia nodded. "Now you'd better run off before Camila gets back."

Sofia nodded, rushing off upstairs.

"Who were you talking to?" Camila asked as she walked back to the door.

"No one."

Camila frowned, glancing up the stairs before looking back at Lauren and nodding her head up stairs and mouthed, "Sofia?"

Lauren nodded, smiling as she held out her arm. "Ready?"

Camila nodded, linking her arm with Lauren's and closed her door.

"Why don't you like driving?"

"It's complicated." Lauren said, glancing over at Camila to see the girl giving her a look that told her to continue. "I just don't like the car. I don't really like anything they buy, it's overly expensive crap when they could just have bought a cheaper car and given the rest to a kids home, or hospital or a charity."

"I'm guessing 'they' are you parents?"

"Mm." Lauren hummed, watching as she kicked a stone in front of her. "Forget it, though. This night is about you, not them."

Camila smiled, rubbing Lauren's forearm. "Have you learned any new tricks recently?"

"No, I can't concentrate. I'm spending most of my time thinking about you." Lauren admitted quietly making Camila smile.

"I can't stop thinking about you, either." Camila pressed a kiss against Lauren's cheek making a big, dumb grin spread across Lauren's lips as she bashfully ducked her head. "You're cute when you're shy."

"Y-you do this on purpose, don't you? Make me a-all flustered and stuttery."

"No, though it is adorable." Camila grinned, resting her chin on Lauren's shoulder and grinned up at her.

Lauren let out a nervous laugh, ducking her head again making her hair curtain her face.

Camila reached up with her free hand and brushed the hair back behind Lauren's ears. "You don't have to be nervous around me, you know. I like you, all of you."

"Really?" Lauren looked up at Camila and the hopefulness in the old girls eyes killed Camila. "Even the dorky parts?"

"Especially the dorky parts."

Lauren smiled to herself, her eyes dropping to the ground before she looked back over at Camila. "Y-you're beautiful." Lauren said and frowned. "Dammit, I told myself I wouldn't stammer." Lauren hissed to herself.