age 17

luke had always hated attention, so when graduation day came around, he was desperately trying to avoid the kisses from aunts he hadn't seen in many years and wave off his weird uncle tommy. if luke was being completely honest, his graduation party didn't feel like it was for him.

"my baby, all grown up, going to Chicago for his degree! I'm going to miss my little boy!" his mother cooed from across the room to her teacher friends and it was right about then luke suddenly felt like crying because this was it; he was leaving west sydney for god knows how long and he didn't want to leave his mother anymore, no matter pushy she was sometimes. he was ready for a new start, but he already felt homesick and here he was, stood in the middle of the living room. no matter how weird or annoying his family could get, they were still his family, and he would miss them so much until his heart ached.

he stared at the picture his family took when they were on holiday in london 3 years ago. he glanced around the room and sighed.

---
music was pulsing through camilla veins as she whipped her head around and laughed with her aunt mary to some jamaican song. when the song ended camilla rushed to the couch for a seat and blew air out of her mouth.

she ran her fingers through her flat ironed hair, and felt it start to curl up from the sweat on her head. camilla watched grandmother point at her while she talked to her friend and smile dearly. she grinned back and waved at the little black woman in the kitchen. camilla was grown up now, she had graduated 2 days ago and her mother decided to throw a party to celebrate her being the only person in her family to graduate high school. she had danced her life away and laughed and talked to her friends and even cried a little, (she didn't really know why because she was going to SAIC).

she was moving to edgewater as a fresh start, seeing as she lived in humbolt park her entire life with all the Puerto Rican friends one could ever want. she really was going to miss waking up in her tiny bed every day. she looked over at the picture on the living room wall of her late dad and sighed.

---

407 words