Chapter Four

Chaaaaptteer fouuur

VOTE AND FAN FOR MORE <3

###

Chapter Four

Melody tends to me on and off throughout the day, ducking in and out of my room with every call that beckons her. She's young, probably 23 or so, with sparkling emerald eyes and chesnut hair, much like Dan's. Her voice is smooth, but her wit is sharp, and she and I seem to get along quite well.

She helped me through eating the grotesque hospital cuisine, bite by bite guiding me through with laughs and smiles. Now, she hands me my clothes, telling me to change.

"Are you going to leave?" I ask her.

"I'm supposed to monitor you," she laughs, "So I shouldn't, but I can if you'd like."

"Whatever. You can stay."

I'm pretty sure she's blushing.

I pull off the hospital gown, revealing my ribs, v-line, my gapping thighs and my pronounced collarbones. Still fat, I know. All that I'm left wearing are a pair of Sonic the Hedgehog boxers.

I would think she would giggle at this, but instead she looks stricken, as if she's just been slapped across the face, staring me up and down.

"Am I really that hideous?" I mumble, hoping she doesn't hear me.

"Ph-Phil..." Her voice trembles, "You're..."

"Ugly? Fat? I know," I sigh, pulling on my running shorts.

"N-no... You're so... You're so fucking thin. I'm sorry, I just..." She shakes her head, "I can't believe someone so beautiful would ever do this to themselves."

I pause, not able to get my shirt over my head. Her words float around my mind. I can't process what she's said just now. Beautiful? Thin? No. Liar.

"I'm not lying," she says, as if she's just read my mind.

"I still can't believe you." I'm about to pull the tee over my head when she tiptoes up to me, laying her warm hand on my stomach. I'm not sure what she's doing, so I just stand suspended in movement, as she presses her ear to my chest.

Is she listening to my heartbeat?

"I'm sorry," she apologizes, "I..."

She pulls back and wraps her arms around my shoulders. My bare chest presses against her uniform as she embraces me tightly.

When she pulls away, I find myself frowning, wishing she would have stayed. Her touch is warm and electric. I'm instantly addicted.

"Thank you," I manage.

"You deserve that," she whispers, "And so much more."

With that, she turns away, striding back to her clipboard, scratching down a few other things.

I'm frozen.

"Well, put your shirt on, little lion." She smiles over at me. I smile back. Little lion.

I pull my tee over my head, shaking my fringe back into place once it's fixed on my shoulders.

"Thank you, Melody."

She nods, smiling at the floor.

"I hope you, uh, stay positive. Strong, too. I'll think of you. You're dismissed from the hospital now."

I thank her, striding out the door. I hope I see her again.

Maybe when I'm not halfway dead.