Chapter 21: I Say Hello

Dorian's looking down nervously, biting his bottom lip. What could he be thinking? Now she is nibbling her lip too in anticipation. He won't even glance in her direction. He's standing, so that's not a good sign. Now he is reaching in his pocket and bending down on to his knee.

Gwen has now brought her fingernails to her lips and is biting down. This is a lot more nerve wracking than she anticipated. Perhaps she should hide, like in a closet somewhere until this is over. That might help.

She takes a deep breath and squares her shoulders. Gwen is better than that. She went through a much more harrowing experience a month ago with Dorian's dad, who is currently locked up and awaiting trial.

As much a she didn't like Cynthia, she has gotten to know her and realizes the woman was only trying to protect Gwen. Cynthia said those things to her over a month ago so she would leave Dorian and not put herself in danger by being with him. She explained to Gwen that she wasn't happy doing it, but her job is to protect the citizens of this country in any way possible.

Therefore she is thankful to Cynthia for protecting Dorian all these years. Now Gwen and Dorian can be together for as long as they like. Provided he stops messing around and just gets on with this.

"Dorian what are you doing?" Gwen has gone from nervous to impatient.

"Yeah, seriously dude hurry it up!" Annalise is practically drooling waiting for her piece. Gwen made sure Dorian got first try of the latest addition to the Got Cake menu, her very own creation she calls Tart Love. It's a salted caramel and orange chocolate tart.

Gwen is doing such a good job at Got Cake they let her add her own creation. It's inspired by Dorian and the first thing she made him. She changed the recipe a bit and now Gwen wants their opinions, especially Dorian's.

"I found a quarter. When a person finds money on the ground they should grab it before anyone else can claim it. Free money is free money!" He holds the shiny round coin in his fingertips up for both the women to see before rising to his feet.

Gwen groans and rolls her eyes, "If you don't want the tart I'll just take it away and give your piece to Annalise. I'm sure she won't get distracted by shiny metal objects."

Annalise's eyes widen and she starts to jump up and down clapping, "Yes! Give it to me. I appreciate anything you will give me that I can shove in my mouth."

Both Gwen and Dorian stare at Annalise, their mouths agape.

"Oh grow up you two, you know what I mean. I just like Gwen's sweet tarts! I mean, I enjoy her tasty... Just give me the tart." Annalise huffed and placed her hand on her hip, holding the other out for the plate in front of Dorian on the counter.

"As much as I want to give you this slice of the tart just for that conversation alone, I refuse to give up anything that was inspired by me and has chocolate and caramel in it. Wait your turn." He lifts the small white plate holding the brown and tan confection up into the air and turns away from Annalise.

Gwen is biting her lip again as he lifts the slice with his hands, delicately firming his fingers to the cocoa almond crust. She watches in anticipation as he opens his mouth, pushing the chocolate confection inside. He finally takes a bite and closes his eyes to focus only on the flavors in his mouth.

Gwen's gaze follows a few crumbs that have escaped the corners of his mouth and landed on the floor. She notices that she is standing on her tiptoes leaning toward Dorian, as if that will get him to respond to her dessert faster.

She smiles at her silliness and that no matter how he feels about the tart she is just thankful to have him in her life. They spent as much time together as possible during the several days after his father's arrest together. He either had to go and help work on the case against his father or she had to be at her internship, but when those two things weren't happening they were usually in bed together.