Episode 6: Everybody Get Dangerous

Here's the thing about Castiel, that I found out the hard way. He may look like an average sized, slightly unassuming man in a rumpled John Constantine cos-play coat... but the dude is bad-ass. When the guys decided about three weeks into my stay at the bunker, that I should learn to fight, I was puzzled that Cas was the one nominated to teach me.

First, I thought Dean had selected Castiel because he would be gentler, more "my speed." Not that he was weak, per se, but that he'd go easy on me. Or perhaps he'd seen Sam and I playing grab-ass and decided that absolutely no actual training would get done if he paired us together. Or he was being lazy and didn't want to do it himself. I was wrong on all of these counts.

Dean and Sam had headed out of town for a few days to hunt a ghoul in Louisiana (they'd been gone the week before hunting a vengeful spirit a few counties over), and no matter how much I wheedled, they absolutely would not take me with them. Apparently ghouls are nasty and no place for a novice, even one who can, quote, "Cas-Kill demons" and "basically melt faces." (Both Dean quotations.) Cas agreed to stick around and keep me company, and in the last two weeks he and I had begun a much less awkward friendship, so I was all right with this. Cas was a good companion in his own way, and he always complimented my cooking, which I found odd until I realized he was just happy he wasn't eating Spaghetti-O's, Biggerson's takeout, or pancakes. Then I found out he was actually just being nice because everything just tastes like molecules to Angels... But more on all that later.

* * *

The day the brothers left, Sam woke up in my bed. He ran a hand through my hair and woke me gently, to let me know he was leaving.

"Mina. Wake up babe." He whispered into my ear. I rolled over to face him, but didn't open my eyes. The sooner I opened my eyes, the sooner he'd be gone on the ghoul hunt. The last few weeks, we hadn't had much time alone. We still weren't real sure what was going on other than an insane mutual attraction, or whether Dean should know about it yet. Plus, Sam had been fastidious at research or gone on hunts. The research often had him working into the wee hours of the morning, and back at it early. I knew he was so serious about it only because it involved me, but I felt he might be burning himself out. He shrugged it off though, every time I asked. He was tired, sure, but he was on a mission.

"You have to leave so early?" I purred into his ear, wrapping my arms around his firm, naked body.

"I do. But I might be able to stall for a few more minutes." I could feel his smile against my skin, his hair brush my neck. He pulled me close, and we made love slowly and sleepily that morning. "Waking up next to you is the best feeling in the world." Sam breathed into my ear as he got out of bed. I watched him as he got dressed, and smiled in agreement when he came back for one last kiss.

An hour later, I waved at the Impala as it tore down the street away from the bunker. I'd made them both promise to be careful around the ghoul, and quietly made Sam promise to come back to me in one piece. As I turned to go back into the bunker, Cas appeared.

"Morning, Cas." I acknowledged him, using my key and leading the way inside.

"Good morning." He replied. "Dean informed me that we are to begin lessons while they're away." I nodded. "I'll make sure I go slow and don't hurt you."

I raised an eyebrow, thinking "whatever." But to Cas, I said. "All right. Where should we do this?"

"There are some rolled up mats in storage. We can push the table out of the way and practice in the main room." Cas said, heading to the storage rooms. We pulled out the mats, moved the table, and took our shoes off. I changed into a tank top. Cas removed his overcoat, but was still wearing slacks and a shirt and tie.