The History of the Remarkable Life of John Sheppard Containing a Particular Account of His Many Robb

THE HISTORY OF THE REMARKABLE LIFE OF JOHN SHEPPARD***

E-text prepared by Steven Gibbs and the Project Gutenberg Online Distributed Proofreading Team

THE HISTORY OF THE REMARKABLE LIFE OF JOHN SHEPPARD

Containing a Particular Account of His Many Robberies and Escapes,

_Viz_.

His robbing the Shop of Mr. _Bains_ in White-Horse-Yard of 24 Yards of Fustian. Of his breaking and entering the House of the said Mr. _Bains_, and stealing in Goods and Money to the Value of 20 l. Of his robbing the House of Mr. _Charles_ in _May Fair_ of Money, Rings, Plate, &c to the Value of 30 l. Of his robbing the House of Mrs. _Cook_ in _Clare-Market,_ along with his pretended Wife, and his Brother, to the Value of between 50 and 60 l. Of his breaking the Shop of Mr. _Philips_ in _Drury-Lane,_ with the same Persons, and stealing Goods of small Value. Of his entering the House of Mr. _Carter_, a Mathematical Instrument Maker in _Wytch Street_, along with _Anthony Lamb_ and _Charles Grace_, and robbing of Mr. _Barton_, a Master Taylor who lodged therein, of Goods and Bonds to the Value of near 300 l. Of his breaking and entering the House of Mr. _Kneebone_, a Woollen-Draper, near the _New Church_ in the _Strand_, in Company of _Joseph Blake_ alias _Blewskin_ and _William Field_, and stealing Goods to the Value of near 50 l. Of his robbing of Mr. _Pargiter_ on the Highway near the Turnpike, on the Road _Hampstead_, along with the said _Blewskin_. Of his robbing a Lady's Woman in her Mistress's Coach on the same Road. Of his robbing also a Stage Coach, with the said _Blewskin_, on the _Hampstead_ Road. Likewise of his breaking the Shop of Mr. _Martin_ in _Fleet-street,_ and stealing 3 silver Watches of 15 l. Value.

ALSO--

A particular Account of his rescuing his pretended Wife from St. _Giles's_ Round House. Of the wonderful Escape himself made from the said Round-House. Of the miraculous Escape he and his said pretended Wife made together from _New-Prison_, on the 25th of _May_ last. Of his surprizing Escape from the Condemn'd Hold of _Newgate_ on the 31st of _August_: Together with the true manner of his being retaken; and of his Behaviour in _Newgate_, till the most astonishing, and never to be forgotten Escape he made from thence, in the Night of the 15th of October. The Whole taken from the most authentick Accounts, as the Informations of divers Justices of the Peace, the several Shop-keepers above-mentioned, the principal Officers of _Newgate_ and _New Prison_, and from the Confession of _Sheppard_ made to the Rev. Mr. _Wagstaff_, who officiated for the Ordinary at _Newgate_.

_LONDON_: Printed and sold by JOHN APLEDEE in _Black-Fryers_, J. ISTED, at the _Golden-Ball_ near _Chancery Lane_ in _Fleet Street_, and the Booksellers of _London_ and _Westminster._ (Price One Shilling.)

TO THE CITIZENS

OF

_London_ and _Westminster_.

GENTLEMEN,

_Experience has confirm'd you in that everlasting_ Maxim, _that there is no other way to protect the_ Innocent, _but by Punishing the_ Guilty.

_Crimes ever were, and ever must be unavoidably frequent in such populous Cities as yours are, being the necessary Consequences, either of the_ Wants, _or the Depravity, of the lowest part of the_ humane _Species_.

_At this time the most flagrant Offences, as_ Burning of Dwellings; Burglaries, _and_ Highway Robberies _abound; and_ Frauds _common_ Felonies, _and_ Forgeries _are practic'd without Number; thus not only your Properties, but even your very Lives are every way struck at_.

_The_ Legislative Power _has not been wanting in providing necessary and wholesome Laws against these_ Evils, _the executive part whereof (according to your great Privileges) is lodged in your own Hands: And the Administration hath at all times applyed proper Remedies and Regulations to the_ Defects _which have happen'd in the_ Magistracy _more immediately under their Jurisdiction_.