Hail to the Freak (3)

*I know that Totoro is a stupid last name, Kat, so if anybody has any idea of a better last name, feel free to TELL ME!!!!!!!!! Help me get Kathleen out of my hair! Bah! Anyways, enjoy! And vote and comment. But you knew that :).

Hail to the Freak

Chapter 3

I searched for Connor the rest of my lunch period, only to find out that he left to go move his stuff from one house to another. Took my fedora with him, too.

You should see the looks Kathleen and I keep getting, some from people who were looking at my head, others looking at Kat's appearance, and some just looking at the Freak who beat a Jock.

"I still can't believe you did that," Kat said for the fiftieth time today. "I mean, compared to him, you're an amoeba!"

"Yes, I'm tiny. Get over it. And Connor had no strategy whatsoever. Easy, peezy."

"Uh huh, because we all know that baseball players don't stand a chance compared to you."

Kat had all the same classes as me, thank you Uncle Benny. The day went by pretty quickly, and when I got home I went straight to my room, the master bedroom. My Aunt Karen doesn't like upstairs rooms because she tends to stumble a lot in the mornings. There's only one room upstairs (mine) and it has a huge window with a fabulous view of the window to the house next door. Luckily, nobody has lived in that house for a year, so no views of unsavory or vulgar activities in the room.

I love my room. 15x20 ft., huge private bathroom, walk-in closet big enough to do a cartwheel in, dark red and orange walls, an office-sized desk, and a king-sized bed to top it off. Weird and awesomely cool paintings hung on the walls.

"Mel, come downstairs and meet the new neighbors!" I heard Uncle Benny yell.

Neighbors? My wonderful person-less view out of my window is gone?

"Mel! Their son goes to Macky!" No, no, no, no, no. No one can find out who I am!

"If you wanted me to come down then you should not have told the principal I am your niece. He has a school-wide investigation going on and a prize going to the person who reveals me!" I yell back.

"Fine! He's coming up!" Crap! I look around and run into my closet, shutting the doors behind me. There's a knock at the door, then it squeaks open.

"Hello?" an all-too-familiar voice calls out. *mental screams* no way.

I grab my old Darth Vader mask from the top shelf. It's the kind with the voice disguiser. I shove it on, look in my full length mirror to make sure only some of my black hair showed, and slowly opened the door and walked out of the closet.

Connor was sitting on my chair looking around. He saw me come out and smiled.

"This sure isn't the room of a princess." He joked. "You know, I'll find out soon enough who you are, so there's no use in hiding yourself, Mel. In fact, I'm pretty sure I already know who you are."

I sighed and pulled off the mask and tossed it on the bed. " Okay, Connor. Now you know. Going to tell everyone tomorrow?"

"Not if you don't want me to." He said. I was shocked.

I quickly recovered. "So waiting for the right time to use it against me?"

"I told you, I won't tell."

"Whatever."

I couldn't tell if he was lying or not, so I just let the subject drop. And now, on to more important subjects.

"Where's my hat?" I asked.

"Why, whatever do you mean?" he said a little too innocently.

"I'm talking about the fedora you took off with during lunch hour. I don't think a lot of my teachers even knew who I was."

"Okay, you caught me. But I'm not giving you your fedora back. You look better without it."

"Whatever. Just give it back!"

"No. Your hat in exchange for keeping this," he gestured to the room. "A secret."

Aggh. Smart boy. Meh, I guess it's fair enough. I shrugged.

Connor stood up. "I have to go, but I'll see you tomorrow, princess." Finally. Wait, did he just call me princess?

"Hey, Connor? Who's taking that room?" I pointed to the window across from mine.

He smiled. "Me." He left before I could say anything, leaving me with my mouth hanging open.

I just hung around my room the rest of the night, quiet. I started doing homework, but kept thinking about Conner. I know it's kind of cliché, but he really is cute.

I heard a thump at my window. And another one. And another one.

I through open the curtains with a baseball bat and mace in my hands.

Thump. At the house next door, the Bright's residence, Connor stood at his open window with a hacky sack tied to a string of yarn. He was repeatedly throwing the sack at my window, hoisting it back up with the string, and throwing it again. Cathing my attention.

When he saw me open the blinds with my weapons, he stopped and laughed. I dropped the bat, but kept the mace. He was within spraying distance.

"What now?" I said, exasperated.

"I can't sleep.

"So?"

"Can you sing me a song?" He has got to be kidding me. A song?

"You can't be serious." I laughed.

"Oh, I am. Pretty please? With sugar on top." He made an attempt at a puppy dog face.

I laughed again. "Fine, one song. What do you want?" He smiled really wide.

"Breathe, by Taylor Swift. I heard my older sister singing it once."

"Angela loved that song too." I whispered on the verge of tears. Oh, great, here they come. Tears spilled down my cheeks before I could stop them. I turned away.

"Oh, god. Are you crying? What's wrong?" I didn't answer. "Mel?"

"It's getting late. I have to go." I started to close the window.

"Ok. By the way, I cleared it with your uncle, I'm taking you to school tomorrow. Night."

Whatever. It doesn't matter anymore. None of it matters anymore.