Trusting is hard

Weightless, i feel, I'm drifting down, extensions in my face, fluttering slowly in front of my eyes as i fall. Expecting to feel rock hard ground, I'm surprised to feel arms.

"I told you i would catch you," i hear a low, male voice whisper in my ear, practically hearing the smile creep up on his face.

'damn it.'

Diego laughs and sets me down on my feet, and i then smell his cologne. Minty with a hint of freshness, almost like a spicy kind of lavender and vanilla. He smiles at me.

'man, he just LOVES to smile,' i think bitterly. If only me. Id take every waking moment for granted if i could be happy like him. I miss being happy. I haven't been happy in years, almost a decade since i genuinely laughed. Maybe at 4 or 5 years old.

Its been a while.

I realize that its started to snow a small bit, less than half an inch, but the way his eyes glow as he looks at me, that's all the color i need. Who cares if the sky is colorless tonight, because even how dark his eyes are, they're more vibrant than the rainbow to me. His smile warms me so much from the inside, i feel like i don't even need to wear this jacket anymore. He is my source of warmth, and a radiating smile is all i want.

"You ok now?"

I gaze into his eyes, and the golden ring freckled with blue and green around his pupal shone in the darkest of nights, i nod.

"I am now," i reply.

'Why the hell did i say that!?!? It sounds like I'm trying to make a move on him! I don't even KNOW him, and I'm trying!'

All i see now is a big hand in my face, waving at me to catch my attention.

"Hmm?" i mumble and gaze off towards him.

"What're you thinking about?"

Mindlessly, i answer to him something i would have never done in my right mind. I'm sleepy...

"You," i say, my eyes looming at the snow covered ground.

"I see..." he responds. He then starts to walk away, past me. Thinking i did something wrong, i apologized, but he took my hand. Thank god, not my wrist. It would hurt too much probably, so I'm just happy I'm not hurting right now.

He led me to a bench, and sat Indian style across from me, so i did the same. He smiled a half-crooked smirk at me.

"My name is Diego. Never officially met you, so here it is."

"O-oh, uh," i studder," Shannon," i practically whisper. The silence was so deafening, he heard so clearly. Now all that is making sound are the small bits of snowflakes and wind. Darkness hit fast, but it seemed so much lighter near him than a few feet away. So, so dark. Eery even.

"Are you cold?" he asks me. Not even noticing i was shivering, i locked eyes with him and nodded. He then surprised me by slipping off his jacket. Its too cold for that! An Asking Alexandria shirt was showing. He slowly clenched the fabric with both hands, and brought himself closer to me, puffs of smoke leaving his mouth for breath. He is so close now, and he is fully on his knees that are pressed barely against the snow covered wood since the knees are ripped. He places his hands on each shoulder of the jacket, and he brings it over my head as time almost stops. I no longer need it, but ill take it for kind gesture, and because i just want that spicy lavender vanilla scent that has me weak in the knees.

His face is so close to mine as my breath quickens, the steam off my breath mixing with his, Diego's cheeks are flushed, and his jacket is now in my shoulders, but he doesn't stop there. He reaches around for the zipper, and zips me into his warm jacket. He pulls up the hood onto my head, and his face is less than an inch closer to mine than it was before. The only space separating us, our lips, is less than two inches of hope.